Filter Epic Panel

Peter Dittman March 13, 2014

Trying to reduce the amount of 'clutter' on the Epic panel and have been experimenting with Quick Filters (following guidance from this posting: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/159375/has-atlassian-implemented-a-filter-mechanism-for-the-epic-panel-in-the-plan-view)

My quick filter looks like:

(issuetype=epic and issuekey in linkedissues( GA-35)) or issuetype in (story, bug, task, sub-task)

which should give only the Epics that are linked to "GA-35" and all the other issuetypes. BUT, this doesn't limit the Epics in the panel.

How can I accomplish this?

What I'm really trying to do is bring focus to my peeps on the Epics identified by the quickfilter.

6 answers

1 vote
John Price
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2014

Peter -

You may want to vote for https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-7174which describes this scenario. I added a Link from it to this post.

0 votes
Wenqin_Chen June 8, 2018

I figured out a way to filter epics by component in backlog. Here are the steps: Go to Backlog -> click on "..." icon on the very top right corner -> click on board settings -> under "Saved filter", click on hyperlink "Edit Filter Query". -> it takes you to a new page, in the filter section on the top, click on "More" dropdown, in the dropdown select "Component", a "component" option appears and set it to your desired component -> click "Save" that now appears on top of the page -> now go back to your backlog, without clicking on any filters, you should see both the epics and the issue already only displaying those in the desired component. 

This took me way too long to figure out, so I want to share with the community. Hopefully this will help someone in the future!

Ashley Renlund October 3, 2019

Unfortunately, that's not a quick filter but rather a filter for the board overall.  I suppose that I could create a separate board for the filtered view, but that's a workaround.  Off to vote!

0 votes
Prem Chudzinski _extensi_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 13, 2017

@Peter Dittman @Henning Tietgens @John Price

We've implemented this feature in the Agile Board Filter for JIRA Software add-on

panels.png

Soon we'll be releasing new filters

• Uncompleted
  • Unestimated

Uncompleted.png

0 votes

the answer is, you can't (despite what the doc and other posts suggest).

Vote to fix the capability: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-7174

0 votes

the answer is, you can't (despite what the doc and other posts suggest).

Vote to fix the capability: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-7174

0 votes
Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2014

It's not possible at the moment. Epics are only filtered by the main filter of the rapid board itself.

Henning - thanks for the comment, answers the question, but not a very satisfying answer. Would seem to be more congruent to apply the board filter, then apply any quick filters, then display the results (epics, stories, tasks, etc.). Don't see the rationale behind excluding Epics from the quick filters. Having those extra Epics there just clutters the page and makes it more difficult to manage the project.

John - thanks for the link - will go cast my ballot.

Like Toni likes this
Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 13, 2014

I totally agree, Peter (and I voted for GHS-7174) :-)

Suggest an answer