Filter Closed and OBE tasks from Jira BackLog view

Marcus Chaney October 31, 2019

Good Afternoon,

I am reaching out to see if there's a way besides using "quick filters" on the board, to eliminate seeing "closed" or "obe" items in our Jira backlog. Previously, we didn't see these items; however, after some changes, those legacy items (dating back to 2016) are showing up in our backlog. Any assistance or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

Marcus

2 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2019

Please share your board filter. "OBE"? Closed issues most certainly should not be on the backlog.

Here's the filter for our board:

project = INF AND issuetype not in (Theme) AND resolution = Unresolved ORDER BY "Rank (Obsolete)" ASC

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2019

I think the issue is that you are not setting the Resolution field when issues are moved to Closed (or whatever your terminal state is).

0 votes
Stephen Crandell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 31, 2019

You could just change the filter for the board/backlog to remove closed/resolved/done issues with "...AND statusCategory not in (Done)" 

I'm fairly new to Jira. I have a general filter for our entire board which is:

project = INF AND issuetype not in (Theme) AND resolution = Unresolved ORDER BY "Rank (Obsolete)" ASC

Where do I find the backlog specific area to filter? I'm currently under Board --> Configure --> General

Stephen Crandell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 31, 2019

Its the same filter. There is not one for backlog and another for the actual board.

Okay, cool! That certainly cleared the closed items from the backlog view, but also from my active sprint, which we like to track. Is there way to exclude filtering out "done" items from the active sprint view?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 31, 2019

FWIW, i would not change the filter. Rather I would address the issue thru the Resolution field. All issues that move to an Done category statuses should include setting the Resolution. This can be done by exposing a screen on the transitions to all Done category statuses OR via a Post Function to set the Resolution by default. I generally prefer the former since there are always various Resolutions (done, won't do, canceled, duplicate, etc.). Also, be sure that any 'reopen' transitions out of Done categories include a Post Function to clear the Resolution field.

Stephen Crandell
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 31, 2019

I agree with @Jack Brickey above, I think the issue then is to remove the statusCategory part of the filter and then auto set the resolution or add a pop up to give the user the ability to set the resolution as part of the "done" transition in the workflow. This should clear up the issue with "Done" issues still showing in your backlog AND remove them from the active sprint board.

Suggest an answer