Filter Children of Parent based on Parent Attribute

Russell Brown September 20, 2022

Two Use Cases Here:

JQL Filter:

• Stories by status within in an Epic WHERE Epic Ranking is "X,Y,Z"
    • Want to quickly filter the backlog to show Stories inside an Epic that is considered a top priority?
  • Subtasks by status within a User Story WHERE User Story Status is "X"
    • I want to do an automation on this where if an Issue is moved from QA to Accepted, any Subtasks not closed will trigger an email to the Subtask Owner (Since we use Subtasks for QA)

I know there are certain requirements you can set up in the Workflow, but we are a larger org using shared Workflows.

2 answers

0 votes
Vishal Biyani
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2022

@Russell Brown 

Will this JQL work for you

project = XYZ and "Epic Link" = EPIC# and issuetype = Story order by rank ASC

#2 For automation rule, you can try below. i have done it for Epic and related Issues. So if an Epic is Done then all issues under Epic are transitioned as Done.

You can similarly do it for Story and subtasks under it.

image.png

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2022

Hi @Russell Brown -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

For your first use case, I do not believe that is possible with out-of-the-box  features of JQL, as JQL is not a SQL.  There are addons from the marketplace which might help with such queries.

For your automation rule, that seems possible to write with a rule.  What have you tried thus far to accomplish this?  If you are just starting, please review this documentation and examples:

Kind regards,
Bill

Suggest an answer