Filter: All issues included in an other issue

Mari Car October 11, 2017

Hi together, 

in our Jira we have beside Epic, Task and subtask, 2 other customized issuetypes. All these Issues are connected to each other in a hierarchical way (We have Work Packages, Epic, Tasks, Subtasks). Now I want to save a filter to see all epics and tasks included in a work package issuetype, or simply all epic included in a work package. 

"Included Epic" in ( workpackage Key) does not work. (in the workpackage there is a field named "included Epic", where we connect the two issuetypes. 

Do you have some ideas, why is not working, is the query wrong?

Thank you very much in advance and best regards

Maria 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 11, 2017

Hi Mari

It mat be useful to include the query that you're using, so others can see it and possibly spot if there's a mistake.

Without that information, if you're using a custom field in the work package to connect to Epics, you can't use a query like customfield = "Epic name". Custom fields only allow you to check whether they're EMPTY or not EMPTY - this may be your issue.

Hi Warren, 

ok, thank you!

yes, i´m using a customfield "included Epic" to connect a workpackage with the epic. What can be the alternative to a costumefield to connect the two issuetypes (WP & Epic)? 

I tried this queries:

-  project = XY AND issuetype = "Epic" AND "Work Package" is not EMPTY  so I can see which Epic are still not connected with a workpackage. 

project = XY AND issuetype = "Work Package" AND "Included Epic" is not EMPTY  so I can see basically again which connections miss. 

I wanted to obtain a list of Epics in WorkPackage, but I think it is no possible, because as you say "Included Epic" is a customefield and sustom fields only allow you to check whether they're EMPTY or not EMPTY- mmm.... 

Do you have a solution? 

Thank you and best regards 

Maria

Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 11, 2017

Is this linking that you're doing done automatically? Because Jira has a built-in linking ability (which is a manual process) and can then be queried. Open an issue, click on the three dots ... at the top right and there is a Link option

Hi this linking ist manually. ok, I don´t have any three dots at the top right in my issue. Do you have a screen shot? Thank you again! 

Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 11, 2017

It obviously depends on which version you're using - I'm on the cloud version - in older versions it was a More button.

Picture0003.jpg

ooook, cool I understand! Super, and if I link the issues through this "Link" I can query it? Nice! Can you give me an example of query if linked? 

Thanks! 

Maria

Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 11, 2017

See this documentation (note the switch at the top for your version), but essentially it's

issue in linkedIssues(ABC-123)

super, really thank you! Very helpful!

Suggest an answer