Filling out forms in JIRA

DJX
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2014

I have a need to fill out various forms as part of a workflow in JIRA. I know I could create screens, custom fields, etc, to do this - but it seems overkill.

Does anyone have a recommended way of doing something like this? In most cases I would just put the form as an Office document format somewhere and link it to the issue, but in this case I don't have a shared file repository available to me.

What methods does everyone use to fill out forms in JIRA? Sharepoint lists? Is there some sort of Lightswitch integration? There must be an easy way to fill out and/or reference forms in JIRA without creating a screen and custom field for each one.

Next, what are the customization capabilities? It would be great if I could integrate with a form on SharePoint and check what value was put into a specific field and do something with Kepler's SIL functions accordingly.

I'm looking for advice from others who have tackled this problem already.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2014

There are three basic approaches:

• Do it in Jira - as you say, custom fields, clever workflows, screens etc
  • Do it in another application and translate the data into Jira (requires that you allow the above, but gives the user other routes to add the data)
  • Do it outside Jira and link to it

They all have advantages and disadvantges. I'd do the first if you're intending to use Jira to drive the workload. But I'd tend to move away from Jira if it really does need "forms", because your work isn't really task driven, it's form driven, which isn't a great model to wedge into Jira. Most places I've worked actually just give up on "forms" completely - do the workflow stuff in Jira, and when they need to get wordy, whack it in Confluence as pages and link to it.

DJX
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2014

Thanks for your insight Nic.

Like Susan likes this

Suggest an answer