Field configuration

kA December 8, 2013

Hi friends,

I have 2(issue type1, issue type2) issue type and 2 (screen1,screen2)screen. During create the issue based on both issue type(issue type1,issuey type2) one screen(screen1) displayed and Then another one screen(screen2) displayed during edit based on both issue type(issue type1,issue type2). Only 2(field1,field2) fields are different for both screen, during create the issue the field (field1,field2) does not displayed but during edit the issue the fields(field1,field2) will be displayed.

Now i want to make those 2 field(field1,field2) mandatory during edit the issue based on those issue types, it is possible. I do not how to make the field configuration,Please help me.

Thanks in advance,

Karthik a.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 8, 2013

You can't make a field mandatory just for one screen. If the field is made mandatory using field configuration, it will be mandatory right from 'Create', even if the field is not present on 'Create' screen.

An alternative would be to allow editing of that field only via workflow transitions and in that case you can make the field mandatory using workflow validators. Javascript hacks is the other option.

kA December 8, 2013

Hi jobin,

Thanks for your updates, I make the two fields mandatory and i could not include those fields in create screen. Then i tried to create the issue it shows those field are required but in the create screen those fields are not available.

Thanks,

Karthik A.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 8, 2013

Yes, that is what I was trying to say. That is just how JIRA works.

0 votes
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 8, 2013

As @Nic suggested, add the global transition something like "Update Data" and add those fields to this transition and remove the fields from edit screen so you can make fields requires using validator

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2013

If you want to require them after creation you need to require them on a transition with a plugin like jira-utilities. The resolution field is ALWAYS required when put on a screen regardless of the field configuration. That is why it should only be put on the transtion screen when you want to set it.

Suggest an answer