Field Remaining Estimate is firing even when field value has been changed

Arnold Macauley July 27, 2016

Hi,

I am using JIRA Cloud / On Demand.  I have added a "Field has been modified" validator for Remaining Estimate, that should fire if the Remaining Estimate value has been changed.  The problem is that this fires on the transition even if the field has been modified meaning that it is not possible to transition the item as the error message keeps displaying.

For example, if a issue has 1h in the remaining effort column, and attempt to transition the issue from one status to the next that has this validator, I have a screen that displays the Time Tracking field so that the user can update the remaining estimate.  No matter what the user puts in that column (1m, 3h, 50h) when the user click to move to the next status the error message will display and will never be valid.

This feels as if it is a bug?

Field has been modified validator settings

Screen Shot 2016-07-27 at 18.44.07.png

Error message displayed that will never be valid

Screen Shot 2016-07-27 at 21.03.19.png

1 answer

1 vote
Stefan Arnold
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 27, 2016

Iam not sure but i think the validations checks whether the remaining time was changed during transation, not before. So if you show a screen in transition with field remaining time the validator checks if field was modified.

One think you could do is to add a script condition thats checks whether remaining estimate < original estimate

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2016

Stefan is right - validators are run during a transition and this one is checking to see if the user has changed the value on the transition screen associated with this transition.

You'll need a condition to prevent the transition

Suggest an answer