Fetch Project Lead

Christophe Gonne May 3, 2021

Hi everyone,

At ticket creation I am asking users to select a project from a drop down list.

After the ticket is created I would like an automation flow that would fetch automatically the project lead and assign that ticket to that person.

In practice:

I have a bug board where users are logging defects, in the ticket creation process I am asking them to identify the project to which the bug they are reporting is attached to (up and running). Then after the ticket is created I would like to get the "Project Lead" of this project and assign that defect to that person.

I have been searching around with no success, so I am asking here!

Thanks in advance for your help.

3 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2021

Hi @Christophe Gonne

for this to work you would need to put the "project" (as far as I understood it is a custom field) into an automation rule, like this:

grafik.png

For this example I just selected the user name in the automation. You referred to the "project lead" - is there a need to get this programmatically? Assuming it won't change that often I'd try to start with the rule as shown above for a test drive.

The above shows for project Jira's own "project" selector. Please replace this with a custom field "project" that you said having in place using type drop down - it works the same.

Regards,
Daniel

Christophe Gonne May 9, 2021

Hi @Daniel Ebers ,

Thank you for your input.

For this example I just selected the user name in the automation. You referred to the "project lead" - is there a need to get this programmatically? Assuming it won't change that often I'd try to start with the rule as shown above for a test drive.

> I understand that you are proposing to "hard-code" the name of the project lead to each project. The problem is I have an important number of projects (+/- 50). Indeed it won't change that often, but I would need to create such automation for every single projects and that will be very complicated to maintain.

> The idea is, the user selects the project from the drop down list then auto-assign the ticket to the project lead.

The above shows for project Jira's own "project" selector. Please replace this with a custom field "project" that you said having in place using type drop down - it works the same.

> I suppose I am using Jira's own "project" selector. I got it from the custom field named "Project Picker", that I find in Custom field > Advanced section.

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2021

I see, it totally makes sense. I tested to access the custom field representing the project picker.
While a JSON-response came back the project lead of this reponse is always 'null' - there are reports in Community that this is the case for the project lead in many cases. However, sometimes it just seems to work. There is no apparent logic behind it seems. This means you could access the field but in case you are getting 'null' back for the project lead, don't question your rule, rather it must be the bug then :)

Christophe Gonne May 10, 2021

Got it, so what the automation should be then?

I am stuck on how I can retrieve the project lead from that drop down custom field. Here is what I currently have (and does not work)

Jira support.png

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 10, 2021

The try to retrieve the project lead from the drop down field is having exactly the problem - the 'null' value for Project Lead. The workaround was therefore to hard code the values until this will (maybe?) fixed some day. I am not sure if there are any other workarounds - but let's see what other Automation experts might come up with =)

Christophe Gonne May 16, 2021

Do we have any automation experts around here? :/

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2021

I would consider using automation. Upon ticket creation if the issue type is bug then you can assign it to the proper person. 

Christophe Gonne May 4, 2021

Yes, that's exactly what I intend to do.

What I am trying to resolve here is the bug reporter does not necessarily know who is the project lead, so the idea is when the reporter is filling the field "Project" (a drop down field with all the projects we have on our Jira instance), then through automation and at ticket creation the ticket got automatically assigned to the project lead.

I do not know how I can automatically get the project lead of a project

0 votes
Sagar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2021

Hi @Christophe Gonne If this is for all issues in the project then on projects details section you can update the default assignee to project lead as shown in the below screenshot.

Or let me know if you looking for certain issues-type only.

Capture 2021-05-04 at 8.53.42.png

Christophe Gonne May 3, 2021

Thanks Sagar,

Yes I know the field location, let me clarify my request.

I have a bug board where users are logging defects, in the ticket creation process I am asking them to identify the project to which the bug they are reporting is attached to. Then after the ticket is created I would like to get the "Project Lead" of this project and assign the bug to that person.

S Kar November 22, 2022

Hi @Christophe Gonne , 

I have approx same problem, did you get something working? 

Suggest an answer