Features like Asana?

Dan Hardy July 1, 2017

Hi-

I work for a housing nonprofit and I'm considering moving from Asana to JIRA Core.  We have very large real estate development projects broken down into sections/components.  In Asana, you can drag tasks up and down the issue list freely to sort.  In JIRA Core it looks like I have 2 options: Issue lists (can sort by component, but not draggable) or boards (draggable but I can't find a way to group by component like I can in Asana).  Here are my questions. In JIRA core:

1. Is there a way to create a (draggable) board with issues grouped by component under component headings?  This is possible in Asana.
  2. Or what would be AMAZING: is it possible to show (draggable) boards by hierarchy i.e. component>task>subtask?  Something like workflowy if you know what that is.

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 1, 2017

1.  Not by component, as components are a way of breaking up projects in JIRA, they're not the same thing as the Asana components.  You're pretty much expected to set up separate boards for that sort of level of detail

2.  There is no heirarchy like that in JIRA.  Components are simply an attribute of an issue for tagging issues within a project.

JIRA can easily replace Asana as a tracker and management tool.  But it does things in very different ways.

Dan Hardy July 2, 2017

Thanks!  If I have to break projects up into separate boards, is there a way to organize boards into groups for a project?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 3, 2017

Boards don't belong to projects.

There is no way to group boards together I'm afraid, other than giving them logical names.  It would be nice if we could, and I think there's a feauture request somewhere that has something like "board categories" similar to project ones.

Suggest an answer