Feasibility of Setting up Jira Read-Only instance ?

ashok2781 August 21, 2013

Is That possible to setup Jira test instances as readonly ??

Thanks,

Ashok Rajendran.

4 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 21, 2013

You can do this, with caveats. I think you've actually spotted most of them, but I'll go over what you'll need to do step by step:

• First, create a complete new Jira system, I'll call that "reporting Jira". It should be slightly different from live, in that the 1000 issue limit would be removed, but otherwise, the same.
  • Second, script/automate the following:
    • At a convenient time (e.g. 3am), shut down the reporting Jira
    • Get the reporting database rebuilt from production (no, you can't use live replication, as Jira has to be stopped while you are inserting/updating data)
    • Run some SQL which swaps all the projects over to use a "read only" permission scheme
    • Restart Jira
    • Apply the new licence (You'll need to check with Atlassian, but I'm pretty sure you'll need a second live licence for this)
    • Re-index it

This is possibly quite a lot of work for little reward though. The demand to bypass the 1000 limit implies your users aren't actually reporting, they're just doing data dumps and whacking it into some other system to mash the data into shape.

A far far better approach would be to go to your users and ask them why they think they need to do this. EVERY time I've done this, we've found out that they simply haven't looked for reports that Jira can do for them without any downloading, or that they don't really know what they are doing, or that they only need summaries of statistics (which are not that obvious in Jira, but can be extracted with a little thought and zero load). On the few times those don't cover it, it's not that difficult to write something in Jira that can do the work far more quickly.

0 votes
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2013
0 votes

no, it wont work without another jira instance.

**I want to setup dedicated Jira instance for Reporting alone to avoid performance issue in current prod instance**

RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2013

how you are doing reporting, i mean in which way?

accessing data and displying on gadgets or in another way?

0 votes
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 21, 2013

you mean just view the issue, then you can do this with permission scheme

check this document

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Project+Permissions

No Prasad,

Please find my requirement below.

Currently we have restricted our users to query the Jira report only for 1000 records. But we have requirement from many users to leverave it for unlimited report generation.

So we come up with idea to setup dedicated Jira for reporting alone ( test jira Instances).

My question here is :

Can we create DB view from current prod DB and use it in another Jira instances rather than clone the production DB every time and make sync and re-indexing every time to run and access report alone.

Please avise whether this would be possible. Please also provide if you have any other suggestion.

RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 21, 2013

i dont think you no need to set up another instance to reporting, how you are doing this?

you can create DB view and give access to read only permission to access data

Suggest an answer