Favorite Issue Workflow Customization

eric_gorr October 1, 2013

The documentation page at:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/What+is+Workflow

describes the default workflow for an issue in JIRA and mentions that an issue workflow can be customized. If you have customized the workflow for an issue in JIRA, I would love to see what your state chart looks like.

Thank you.

1 answer

0 votes
Darly Senecal-Baptiste
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 1, 2013

Hi Eric,

When you installed JIRA (standalone) or started using the onDemand version of JIRA, there is an initial workflow called jira, which is a default and does not get changed at all. (maybe you recognize from the confluence page)

Now, when I talk about workflow customization, the first thing that I can do is doing the diagram by using the workflow editor (Admin > Issue > Workflow > Add Workflow)

At the workflow editor, you are able to create statuses drag them at the editor canvas and link them by using transitions. After doing the diagraming part, you can add screen at those transitions by going to the transition and click the link called "Add screen to the transition".

Another point to mention about transition, is that there are three acctions to do in there :

1. Conditions: Set conditions in which you can allow users to click the transition button or not
  2. Validators: In case that the transition has screens, you can set some mandatory fields
  3. Postfunction: Automatic actions that can be done besides moving the ticket from one status to another

After implementing the workflow, you can map the workflow to an specific issue type (or as default project mapping) by doing the Workflow Scheme.

And finally, you can map the workflow scheme to your project (Project > Workflow Section > Workflow > Switch an Scheme > Select the workflow scheme > Map. then Acknowledge)

Since you want to see a customized workflow chart, here is mine:

Suggest an answer