Failed to start JIRA due to a build number inconsistency

Scott Bowie July 15, 2013

Contrary to the similar questions/answers in this database, I am not developing a plugin etc., merely try to restart a JIRA instance that had been upgraded from version 4.4 to version 5.2 a number of months ago (using live update functions, not installing new version and upgrading database). I believe this is the first time the JIRA instance has been restarted and I'm getting :

The data present in your database is newer than the version of JIRA you are trying to startup.

Database version is: 812

JIRA app version is: 589

Please use the correct version of JIRA. You are running: 4.2.2-b589#589

Also strange to me is that it's claiming version 4.2.2 rather than the 4.4 I know was previously running.

So how do I force the 5.2 version of JIRA?

Thanks, Scott

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Scott Bowie July 16, 2013

So it turns out that one of the JIRA startup processes couldn't bind to local port 8005 and therefore threw the whole startup into some sort of hissy fit - discovered by going through catalina.out log file.

Identified the process that was holding onto port 8005 with
sudo netstat -ltnup

manually killed the process and restarted jira => no more problem(yet no explanation as to why it was claiming version mismatches)

*WOULD CERTAINLY BE NICE* to have more accurate details appear in the browser window when JIRA can't start

Thank you to Ricardo for responding quickly!

0 votes
RicardoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 16, 2013
Hi Scott. I don't know if you got my previous comment, so I will write it here again.. Please take a look at this documentation: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Incorrect+database+type+specified If the problem persists, please paste the error again. Cheers, Ricardo.
Kevin Mote
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 24, 2015

That link no longer works. It has been changed to this: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA052/Incorrect+database+type+specified

0 votes
RicardoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 15, 2013
Hi Scott, Jira will throw this message if you point a version of JIRA at a different version of the database. You can confirm that you are pointing to the correct database if you open the file config.sh or config.bat inside your <jira-install>/bin. There you can check it under the tab database. Also can you check if the version you are trying to run is really a 5.2 instance? You can go to your <jira-home>/log and open the atlassian-jira.log, you will find under the last JIRA starting... tag the version of JIRA you are trying to start. Cheers, Ricardo Carracedo.
Scott Bowie July 16, 2013

Thanks for quick response but there is nothing defining the database within either of those config files.

I'm starting JIRA via command line on Ubuntu server and when I do, it displays the ASCII art JIRA logo and

Atlassian JIRA
Version : 5.2

Detecting JVM PermGen support...

Additionally, looking at the tail of the atlassian-jira.log, I see today's entries confirming version 5.2 but don't understand the implications of the error that follows:

2013-07-15 17:06:44,705 localhost-startStop-1 INFO [atlassian.jira.startup.JiraStartupLogger]

JIRA 5.2 build: 812 started. You can now access JIRA through your web browser.

2013-07-15 17:06:44,864 localhost-startStop-1 INFO [atlassian.jira.upgrade.UpgradeManagerImpl] Setting current build number to 812

2013-07-15 17:07:07,746 QuartzWorker-1 ERROR ServiceRunner PluginLicenseExpiryJob-job [atlassian.jira.service.ServiceRunner] An error occured while trying to run service 'PluginLicenseExpiryJob-job'. PluginScheduler job 'PluginLicenseExpiryJob-job' is expected to exist but it doesn't
java.lang.IllegalStateException: PluginScheduler job 'PluginLicenseExpiryJob-job' is expected to exist but it doesn't

Suggest an answer