Failed to start JIRA due to a build number inconsistency - JIRA7.

CA Operations January 13, 2016

HI everyone.  I'm seeing multiple postings on this topic, but nothing about Jira7 and the basic question of "Why a very minor revision number change is preventing me from migrating off Cloud hosting"

The message I'm getting is:

DescriptionTimeLevelException

Failed to start JIRA due to a build number inconsistency.

The data present in your database is newer than the version of JIRA you are trying to startup.
Database build number: 71001
JIRA app build number: 70114

Please use the correct version of JIRA. You are running: 7.0.5#70114-

I downloaded V7.0.5 off Atlassian 2 days ago, and I did my data import within the same day.  If Atlassian is constantly upgrading the cloud service with new build numbers, how can we ever complete a migration off it, if the newbuilds are not available for download?  

The implied question is, where do I get JIRA build 71001 ?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
CA Operations January 15, 2016

So after a day and a half of back and forth with Atlassian, I finally got them to admit that "oh, yeah, we had a problem with cloud hosting that might have impacted exports.  Run a new export, and try to import that." - I did this, and the import was successful.  Note the build numbers didn't change, so this was purely a misconfiguration on their end.  I'm glad they did own up to the problem, but would have been happier if it hadn't taken several back and forths until the problem was addressed.  

darrenpegg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 15, 2016

Strange... Then again my export was 2 days newer, so they must have fixed it in between. Glad you giot it sorted. I am assuming you now what I meant when you are opted to carrry on if you agree that the versions don't align?

0 votes
darrenpegg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 13, 2016

There is documentation on how to do a migration post updating the build numbers via the export via the entities.xml

Unzip your backup, find and replace the build number and rezip and import.

That build number does not exist in the XML files except as realistic values as part of the rest of the data. The closest thing I've found is this: entities.xml: <OSCurrentStep id="71001" entryId="55646" stepId="4" actionId="0" owner="" startDate="2015-05-04 22:41:49.067" status="null"/> But that is in the middle of whole slew of OSCurrentStep entries. I can't just change one in the middle of hundreds.

darrenpegg
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 13, 2016

Hmm.. Ok gimme an hour, I'll extract and take a look. To be fair to you I have done this prior to version 7.x.x

darrenpegg
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 13, 2016

Seems if I do one now... JIRA Software v7.0.5#70114 and Ondemand 7.1.0-OD-04-012#71001 I have no issues.. other than to accept that the versions don't match I would therefore update your local server install to the latest - then are-attempt your migration - Would seem to be simplest... if ofcourse your plugins allow you to. I don't have the time now, but will install an older JIRA and perform the same where the build number is different.

You're describing the exact versions I mentioned above, and I got the error message I pasted above. What did you do differently?

darrenpegg
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 13, 2016

I didn't need to update the entities.xml - just installed a JiRA software license at he point of import. Complained about the versions being different and opted to carry on. My local JIRA was a fresh download and the database was empty. The whole process took less than hour I can happily screen share this evening as I'm with clients all day.

CA Operations January 14, 2016

I'm sorry, how did you 'opt to carry on'? I can't start at all. https://www.evernote.com/l/AKrqSX4aGN1EHpwF0K1OgW2pRf3CIC4KyoM

Suggest an answer