Failed to Import watchers through CSV

Deepali Bagul July 19, 2017

Hi,

I am trying to Import watchers from the CSV file, but the watchers are not updated on the issues. I have attached screenshot of the CSV file with watcher column. I map the watcher field (CSV) to watcher(jira field) and did import. But the watchers were not updated. As the per this document https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver072/importing-data-from-csv-829827152.html it says watchers can be imported. Let me know what I am missing the above steps.

watcher2.pngwatcher1.png

Regards,

Deepali Bagul

2 answers

0 votes
Josh Thompson September 6, 2017

I'm having similar problems and am unable to import watchers, only the "Watchers" JIRA Field is not showing as an option to map against. Are there any additional thoughts on this?

deepali3031 September 6, 2017

Hello Josh,

Can you share the screen shot of the mapping screen and see when you type watcher in map fields what does it show.

Make sure you have project permissions.

I came up with a script to copy the watchers to the custom (multiple) user fields. I was moving issues from One project to other project and this way I was able to have custom user field moved and then copied the user field to watchers. Hope this makes sense.

Regards,

Deepali Bagul

Josh Thompson September 6, 2017

Well, I made some progress. I was able to import watchers when using the External System Import from the Admin console.

However, I am still unable to import watchers using the "Import issues from CSV" option under the issue browser. I've found some workarounds using the Autowatch labs feature, but still nothing explicitly allowing me to directly import watchers via the "Import issues from CSV" option.

I'll make due for now but would prefer the ability to add watchers using the "Import issues from CSV" option as this would allow non-admin users the ability to import issues themselves.Clipboard - 2017-09-06.png_JIRA-MoreMenu-ImportIssuesSelection.png

0 votes
Ash
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 19, 2017

Hi ,

In your CSV  file instead of using watcher for all users edit it as watcher 1, watcher 2, watcher 3.

Deepali Bagul July 20, 2017

Hello Ashish,

I tried the your way  but it didn't copy watchers :(

New_edited_csv.png

Ash
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2017

All these watchers are mapped to watcher field right?. Can you paste your error message.

Ash
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 20, 2017

Map all your watcher 1, watcher 2 ... to watcher field before import.

Yes, all the watchers fields (watcher 1, watcher 2, etc) are mapped to watcher ( system field) before import. 

I do not see any error on UI will try to look  into log and provide you details.

Ash
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 20, 2017

User names you are using in CSV file should match with JIRA user names.

Yes the User ( watcher) names  in csv matches the Jira user username (userid and not the full name).

I am using exact the same values that was exported through csv (current field). We have jira 7.2.3

Ash
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 21, 2017

Do you have watcher permission in project permission scheme? 

Deepali Bagul July 21, 2017

Yes I am a jira admin as well as project admin and project role ( administrators) are added to project permission manage watchers and  View Voters and Watchers.

Suggest an answer