External users not receiving email notifications using Watchers plugin

Steve Smothers April 7, 2015

Hi- Running v6.2.3 Installed the Watchers plugin because we were getting errors when adding users as watchers to issues (unless they were admin or the Reporter). Installed the plugin without any issues BUT it seems that I cannot just add any old email address as a watcher... Now, I know the Watchers plugin is working (somewhat) cuz I added an internal user to that field and that person did receive a notification when I added a comment to that issue.

I also added my external email address to that Watchers field and DID NOT receive an email notification.

So...

Thanx

Never, never doubt what nobody is sure about. -Willy Wonka

3 answers

0 votes
Chris Cooke Old Street Apps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 17, 2022

External Share for Jira let's you share tickets, sub tasks and even whole boards with External users who can subscribe to watch issues and any changes on a specific ticket, a JQL filter, or a whole board.

Here's an example board you could subscribe to as an external user (Dark Mode optional)

External Share board share screenshot.png

0 votes
Steve Smothers April 8, 2015

Thanks for the reply. I understand that, actually, this can be done with the right configuration (https://thepluginpeople.atlassian.net/wiki/display/JEMH/Enable+non+JIRA+Account+holders+to+receive+issue+updates) but the main issue, as stated in the initial post is that, except for JIRA admins or the Reporter, a JIRA User, when added to the custom pick field Watchers, does not get notifications to an issue. I have these settings in place:

Global Permissions - Browse Users - Jira Users

Notification Scheme

Issue Commented - User Custom Field Value (Watchers)

Issue Resolved - User Custom Field Value (Watchers)

Issue Security Scheme - User Custom Field Value (Watchers)

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 8, 2015

The WATCHERS plugin will just allow you to add Watchers on the screen and when I say watchers, it should be a valid JIRA user ID. You cannot add an email address in there.

Suggest an answer