External user management in Jira v5.0.5 and Crowd v2.4.2

tmv June 7, 2012

We have Jira running with Crowd. The External user management is ON, but users are still able to edit their profiles/passwords through Jira. The only way disable those edit links is to make the Crowd directory to be 'Read Only' through Jira's User Directory admin interface. However this will not work for us since we need Jira to be still able to update user's groups. We don't want users to be able to update their profiles/passwords since those are managed by Crowd.

1 answer

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 7, 2012

I think it is all or none at the moment in JIRA. Crowd has more fine grained permissions where it is connected to LDAP but not between JIRA and Crowd.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 7, 2012

I agree but I was thinking it already works that way!

tmv June 7, 2012

The fine grained permissions in Crowd work fine with the 'Read/Write' setting through Jira's User Directory admin interface, so it's not an issue between Jira and Crowd.

I think this is a bug in Jira when the documents clearly state that if external user management is turned ON users are not able to edit their profiles/passwords.

Suggest an answer