External Storage Options for JIRA Attachments

Pradeep Kumar January 4, 2018

We are having a production JIRA with issues upto 2 lacs. The attachment directory specifically is consuming lot of disk space, hence we are planning to move our production JIRA_HOME directory to external location.

Can someone please help me the best approach.

1 answer

1 vote
Gareth Cantrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2018

It is not advisable to move your entire JIRA_HOME onto external storage as this may have a noticeable performance impact on your Jira instance.

To store your attachments on external storage, I would recommend to move only the attachments folder and then create a symbolic link from the JIRA_HOME to where you have moved the attachments.

Pratik August 14, 2019

and how do we create symbolic link? any example or command syntax?
I am using JIRA 8.2.4

Gareth Cantrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2019

In Linux, use the ln command.

Move your attachments folder to your external storage and then create a symbolic link in the <JIRA_HOME>/data/ folder to where you've moved your attachments:

$ cd <JIRA_HOME>/data
$ ln -sf /path/to/attachments attachments
$ ls -l
total 0
lrwxr-xr-x 2 jira jira 11B 2 Aug 10:18 attachments -> /path/to/attachmments
drwxr-x--- 41 jira jira 1312 2 Aug 10:26 avatars

Suggest an answer