Exporting data to excel in Jira Cloud - missing data

Therese Reade November 18, 2018

Hi

I can download issues to excel with no problem, but I notice that not all the information in the Description field is being downloaded. Is there a character size limit for fields? Am I able to change this?

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 19, 2018

Hi Therese,

I've tested here adding a text with 1000 words on the description and opened the downloaded file on Google Sheets and the description is correct.
Can you please let us know how many words the description has?
What software are you using to open the file? Is it Excel or another spreadsheet software?
Can you test using Google Sheets?

Regards,
Angélica

Therese Reade November 19, 2018

Hi Angelica

The issue description in question has 251 characters. I have another issue description with 435 characters where all the description has been exported, the next issue has 255 characters but not all the description has exported. I can do a cut and paste directly from Jira into excel for the full description with no problem (but a little frustrating for 1300 issues). I am using Excel. How do you export from Jira cloud to Google sheets?

Thanks

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 27, 2018

Hi Therese,

You can export as CSV and then open Google Sheets > Choose "Blank" > File > Open > Upload > Select a file from your computer.

Regards,
Angélica

Therese Reade November 27, 2018

Hi Angelica

I have tested this in Google sheets and it copies across all the information. Unfortunately this is not an acceptable resolution as when I try to save from Google sheets to Excel only the first line is retained.

Then I had a light bulb moment. It was only those issues that had formatting in Jira that did not copy across all of the description.

I changed the formatting in Jira to include bold text and all the description field information was downloaded to Excel

I changed the formatting in Jira to include underline and not all of the description field information was downloaded to Excel

It appears that when underline is used in Jira the download to Excel is limited to 255 characters, though not always as I found some cells where the cut off occurred at 252 cells.

I used the LEN function to count the characters and did not test all cells where description had been cut off.

Is this something that will be looked at to rectify?

Thanks

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
December 4, 2018

Hi Therese.

Thank you for the details.
I tried to reproduce here, but it did export all description, even including underline.
Would it be possible for you to generate a random text and use the same formatting from the description that didn't work? I'm asking this because we don't want you to post here the original description of your ticket, so you can copy a random text on Google and add the same formatting and send us a screenshot.
Also, I would like to know what is the Office version that you are using, so it will be easier for us to test if we try to do this using the same configuration as you.

Regards,
Angélica

Therese Reade December 4, 2018

Hi Angelica

Here is what is downloaded when I use formatting in Excel use Google sheets and any resolution for this must be found for when exporting to Excel. We are using Office 365

JIRA download error.PNG

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
December 11, 2018

Hi Therese,

Thank you for the details.
I tested using the same text as you and tested on Google Sheets and MS Excel, but I wasn't able to reproduce.
For us to further investigate the issue, I've opened a ticket with our support in order to check your instance to get all details in order to reproduce the issue to confirm if it's a bug or not.
You will receive a confirmation email and soon we will contact you.

Regards,
Angélica

Suggest an answer