Exporting cascading select fields in excel

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 4, 2014

HI All

I have a cacading select field, which i want to export to excel (i am on jira 6.1)

If i use the JQL, <cascading-field-name> is not null and then export the results then the cascading field appears in my excel (i am doing export all fields)

But, if i do not pass this parameter, which means, i am returning field values which are null and not null, in this scenario, the cascading field does not get exported to excel.

How do i get round it?

Rahul

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2014

Simple answer is to keep including the clause that says "not null"

The reason this is happening is a long-standing and annoying design oversight in Jira. When you define a search that includes any fields that are NOT valid for some of the project/issuetypes that could be returned by the search, it silently drops the field. Not prints it with "n/a" or blank, but completely removes the column. Even when you've got data on other issues, and even when you're not returning any of the project/issuetypes that don't have the field.

So, the answer is to limit your search to where the field is valid. It is by project and issuetype, but you are accidentally doing it by saying "field not null" as well, because that limits your selection to places that do have the field.

It's wrong, it's broken, and I've been whinging about it for a decade, and I'm not alone <sigh>

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 4, 2014

thanks Nic for the explanation, that helps

Rahul

0 votes
Jennifer Flinn July 26, 2017

You can also use the following in your search to return all the fields even if they are not valid for a specific issuetype. 

issuetype in (standardIssueTypes(), subTaskIssueTypes())

Suggest an answer