Export templates and different versions of JIRA

Alec Jasanovsky July 12, 2017

I'm new to being a JIRA admin and I've been tasked with migrating our JIRA server to cloud. I have a couple of other solutions in mind, however the problem I'm having right now is a difference in export formats. 

Our JIRA server is outdated some, and our cloud is fully up-to-date, so when you export something like an project case, the formats are quite different (which obviously messes with the import).

So I'd like to go into the server itself and change the actual export templates to that of the updated cloud's (however I think that'll require a full restart on a production server) - Or I could write a simple script, or figure out a project migration addon and bang it out altogether.

Can anyone offer the best solution?

2 answers

0 votes
Alec Jasanovsky July 12, 2017

Hi Nick,

The backup & restore would have been ideal however someone before me already created the cloud instance and seemingly built it from scratch. So all the projects, tickets, and data is still on the old, outdated-server.

In order to call the migration a success - I'd like to be able to transfer all projects, tickets(cases), and data over to our cloud instance. I've been doing it by hand to just get an understanding of the process and layout (still new to JIRA) but it seems like my best bet is a Project Migration addon.

As I was going through my testing, I manually created the new project on the cloud instance and I wanted to export all "cases" or to clarify from above, the "Project Tickets/Issues" from my old server into the cloud.

To clarify the format issues - when I export all the cases to an Excel Doc, the format (layout of the information) is not the same as the updated cloud instance's excel format. So during the import, for example JIRA is looking for ticket titles where there are none, so the creation of my tickets only contain a random data set from the import sheet.

The formatting/excel documents isn't the most important, ideally I'm just looking for the best practice (with my current setup and limitations) to get all my information transferred.

Thanks for the help, Nick!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 12, 2017

You'll need to start at the beginning.  Could you explain what you mean by

• Export template
  • Export format
  • Project case

Then you'll need to explain what your migration to Cloud is expected to do.  Most server to Cloud migrations involve a backup and restore, which is not configurable, you need to start with a standard backup of a JIRA from a very recent version, so I'm not sure what you're actually doing here.

Alec Jasanovsky
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2017

Hi Nick,

The backup & restore would have been ideal however someone before me already created the cloud instance and seemingly built it from scratch. So all the projects, tickets, and data is still on the old, outdated-server.

In order to call the migration a success - I'd like to be able to transfer all projects, tickets(cases), and data over to our cloud instance. I've been doing it by hand to just get an understanding of the process and layout (still new to JIRA) but it seems like my best bet is a Project Migration addon.

As I was going through my testing, I manually created the new project on the cloud instance and I wanted to export all "cases" or to clarify from above, the "Project Tickets/Issues" from my old server into the cloud.

To clarify the format issues - when I export all the cases to an Excel Doc, the format (layout of the information) is not the same as the updated cloud instance's excel format. So during the import, for example JIRA is looking for ticket titles where there are none, so the creation of my tickets only contain a random data set from the import sheet.

The formatting/excel documents isn't the most important, ideally I'm just looking for the best practice (with my current setup and limitations) to get all my information transferred.

Thanks for the help, Nick!

Suggest an answer