Export issues and comments and import to cloud JIRA in new project

Jen maurer November 11, 2019

My company is moving from blue JIRA to cloud JIRA, and I am needing to recreate my project in JIRA.  I am not a System Admin, so I cannot do a backup and restore.

In blue JIRA, let's say my project is "AA." In cloud JIRA, my company has created a new project which I should use; let's say my new project is "BB." I need to export all issues from "AA" and import them to "BB." 

I have already tried the features to export from a filter to Excel (All fields) and import from CSV and have been able to successfully migrate everything, except for:

1) Losing the hierarchy of issues (linked to, related by, parent of, etc.) because I can't map the "Keys" from the old "AA" project in blue JIRA to the new "BB" project in cloud JIRA

2) Losing comments - in the Excel export, comments are not included, so I have no way of importing them (comments are a critical part of my team's workflow, so this is a problem)

3) Losing sub-tasks - also because of losing the hierarchy (I manually added sub-tasks to issues after import, which works, but only for a small number of records)

I've taken a look at this Q&A below, and it has helped provide context, except that I still don't know how to add comments not as an admin, after importing issues, and in importing to a different Key. Is it possible?
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Export-Import-Comments-in-JIRA/qaq-p/144018

Thanks for any help you can provide!

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 13, 2019

Hello Jennifer,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Indeed, the non-admin issue importer of JIRA has some limitations, where you are not able to map and import issue links and comments. 

That being said, we have created two feature requests to properly add both functionalities:

Ability to map Comment Body through Non Admin CSV 

Ability to Import Issue Links from a CSV File as a non-admin user 

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestions to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

To import the issue links, there's a workaround provided in the following KB:

How to Import Issue Links from a CSV File as a non-admin user 

For the comments, I would recommend you to contact your admin to properly import it through the external system import.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Suggest an answer