Export data/issues from older Jira's and import it in a new Jira?

linuxWiz89 June 5, 2013

I have a few Jira instances and I now I want to consolidate all of them into one single. How can I export data from all of those Jira instances and import them into a new one?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2015

Looking back on my answer after reviewing the Project Importer functionality for another project I threw some notes together and put it up in our OnDemand instance:

https://capitalplugins.atlassian.net/wiki/display/CP/Notes+on+JIRA+Project+Import

3 votes
William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 7, 2013

To add to Jobin's response -

The only way to assess the true level of pain you are going to experience is to know how customized the JIRA instances are. You are going to want to start with the most complicated instance and merge the other, less complicated instances into it. The link in Jobin's response is your bible for the next few weeks. Couple points of interest:

1. All versions of JIRA need to be the same down to the build number
  2. All custom fields shared across instances (meaning same custom field type was used to create custom field) need their custom field type jar files to be the same version.
  3. While the project importer sounds nifty and cool it's really not. It is a very primative brainless utility that requires the admin to config most all of the instance before it will permit the import

Get ready for the suck.

Best of luck.

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2013

There is no easy way to do it. My suggestion is this:

1. Upgrade all instances to be on the same version
  2. Export to XML from source instances
  3. Do a project import to target instance from all exports in Step 2

Step 3 is not easy because you will have to manually import the required configurations before importing projects. See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Restoring+a+Project+from+Backup

Suggest an answer