Export and Import to JIRA Software Cloud - XML Error

Sharon Connell May 25, 2017

I have made an export from our production JIRA Software cloud instance and am trying to import to a 'test' Cloud environment.

I get the following error -  "There was an error parsing the entities.xml file: An invalid XML character (Unicode: 0x10) was found in the value of attribute "body" and element is "Action".

What do I need to do to import the data? It seems odd I should need to do something as they are both cloud instances. I have read help documentation but it seems most is targeting server based instances. 

What am I missing?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2017

This does seem to happen a lot, especially when you're coming from MS-SQL or MySQL databases.

First step is to try the cleaner - see https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/removing-invalid-characters-from-xml-backups-12079.html

Ok, I was able to use the instructions to create the import - yay! However, I am getting an error listing users that their "email is assigned to more than one user". I have looked at each user and this is not the case. I recognize that a few (at least) were Service Desk customers that were converted to a licensed user. How can I resolve this problem?

Hi, Nic - I think I answered my question. Thank you once again for your help!!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2017

Excellent, glad it's all working now!

My squad is currently working on several merges and finding duplicate email addresses are shared are great "fun" parts of the process.  We dummy them out quite quickly, but we still forget regularly, and have that "oh bother, we forgot the emails didn't we?" head-slapping moment.

Suggest an answer