Export and Hours

Roman Goloulin November 5, 2014

Hi,

I'm new to JIRA and couldn't find appropriate place where to put my questions.

1. Is there any possibility to display spent time in hours and not to combine them into days when they reach hours per day. For example: my working hours is 8 and my partner is 6, we worked on issue 24 hours and JIRA shows 3 days. It's a little bit confused, because my 3 days are not the same with my partner. I also reporting my time to get paid in hours and it's hard to transfer JIRA combined days into hours to provide my reports. Is there any option to prevent JIRA combine hours into days?
  2. When I export list with my tasks and issues to excel file, all columns with time shows time in seconds and not in hours.

001.JPG

002.JPG

I have to spend additional time to divide every single such column to 3600 to get proper time in hours. Is there any possibility to get this right?

Thank you.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 5, 2014
  1. Go to Admin -> Time Tracking, and turn off "pretty" time formatting
  2. This is already "right".  It's going to stay as seconds because that is the best option

JIRA stores and exports the duration type data in seconds because a few people might need that granularity.  Most need hours or minutes to be frank, but storing it in seconds gives you the flexibility to support everyone who needs seconds upwards.

So, I've just said "most need hours or minutes", but which one would you choose?  You'd want hours.  I've got a lot of users that need minutes, so they'd have to do the conversions that you're doing from seconds, but from hours, so I'd vote for minutes on their behalf.  But I've got others who need hours.  And days.

0 votes
Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 11, 2015

As Nic said the data is stored with second precision, which you can precisely export to an Excel worksheet using the Better Excel Plugin.

It will keep your data separate from its presentation format, and simply allow to use Excel formulas or formatting features (right click and select format) on the data. So, you can turn those seconds to minutes or hours or a combination of those (01:45 for example), whichever you prefer.

Suggest an answer