Export Jira data for use in a BI tool (Tableau)

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2021

Let me explain my situation a bit.

The company I'm currently working at has their network divided in to several logical networks (one more secure than the other) as it is part of a production facility.

Our Jira (Server/DC) is hosted in one of the more secure networks and only has HTTP access to allow from our Office network. (the actual SQL and application servers are hosted on a platform in the more secure network)

We are now looking to do our reporting using Tableau (but I guess this would be valid for any tool) so we need to get to the data.

Having a direct connection to the SQL DB from the office network (where Tableau is hosted/maintained) is not allowed (believe me we tried).

Initially we tried to replicate the data between that SQL and a SQL in the Office network, that worked but for some other policy/security reasons our Tableau designers can't use a service account to connect to the data using their Desktop designer.

So what I'm thinking of now is to just provide them with a csv/flat file data dump of the needed tables (which we will then push to a network location on a set schedule) and basically have them import those in to Tableau. This would mean they basically get a file based data model in separate csv files (which they would then need to link together in their data model)

In my mind this could work and even with some minimal effort. For example have a Powsershell or Python script run every x hours and dump the data to the csv's. This could even be a manual job is it needs to be.

Now my question, does anybody have any great alternatives for this (keeping in mind that we 

1. cannot invest in any apps to achieve the entire use case (so no Tableau connector app or something on Jira)
  2. We need to keep the security policies and restrictions in mind

Hence my "low tech" solution of just dumping the tables to files) or has a good way of dumping the data to some file?

Hope someone can either tell me I'm on the right path or call me insane and give me good alternative :)

Thanks!

0 answers

Suggest an answer