Export/Import of project with ScriptRunner

Jason Adam January 20, 2018

I have Project Configurator for exporting/importing my project without data or user information.  This works great for JIRA Core (we're on 7.6.0), as we have 3 different environments that we want to keep the same (development, test, and operations).

However, the export does not seem to capture any of the post-function and behaviours I have scripted up in ScriptRunner.  Our workflow has several places where actions occur based on changes, either to the fields or to state.

I'm trying to minimize the amount of reconfiguration per environment.  Is there a way, or another addon to do this, where you can export/import configurations including things like ScriptRunner?  Or would that just be a bit too crazy complicated to know all the permutations?  What have others done to reduce the possibility of someone flubbing up these type of things between environments?

Thanks!

2 answers

1 vote
Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2018

I believe this should just work out of the box. What's the actual issue you're seeing?

Jason Adam January 21, 2018

Well if I export the entire project using JIRA's export, it grabs everything, including the ScriptRunner stuff, but it also has data.  Guess I should explain, my goal is to have something that I can import into a new environment and it will contain the structure of our project (workflow, custom fields, the post function and behavior scripting, etc) but not contain data that is specific to that environment, like test issues created, our active directory integration (which easy enough to turn on and off), those sort of things.

So when I use Project Configurator, it's grabbing all the stuff related to our project, except for the defined behaviors/post-functions (which I am guessing is because those are defined within an addon and not native to JIRA core by itself).  We just have several scripted things going on throughout all our transitions and I was hoping to be able to pull those in along with the "shell" of our project.

Jason Adam January 21, 2018

Ooooook, I found in the export file from Project Configurator where the scripts for state changes are!  I was grepping for actual text not realizing they were byted up into a data object.

We have Script Listeners, also, that fire off emails based on Issue Updated events.  Looking through the xml I'm not able to find those.  Are they also included and I'm just missing where they are?

Part of the problem is right now, I only have one environment to work with (and only one server I was given access to), so I'm trying to come up with a deployment plan without exporting, wiping out my JIRA installs, and then reinstalling and importing and seeing what all is there.  So yeah a bit of pain.  If I had two servers I could at least be testing all this out and figuring out on my own.  But alas, budget crunch.

Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2018

I run Jira on my laptop for testing purposes all the time. You can also run a second Jira instance on your prod environment assuming that you have enough underlying resources to not impact prod.

0 votes
Jason Adam January 22, 2018

Ended up checking out Botronsoft Configuration Manager.  Solved my situation wonderfully.

Suggest an answer