Export Cycle Times

Is there a way for me to export cycle times for a project? I use the reports but end up manually collecting the cycle times because I can't find a way to export them. Any suggestions?

3 answers

Hi, Scott!
What do you mean by cycle times? Is it time tracking? Versions?

Hi Felipe,

A cycle time is the time that it takes to a unit to get through a workflow, including each step of the way. For example, if I have a User Story that will go from the backlog to a developer (In Dev), then to Ready for QA, then get pulled by QA (In QA), and then go to Acceptance, I can measure how long the unit is in each of those fields. So the cycle time is the time that it is in those fields and the total time from start to finish. Jira already captures this data, if you go to the reports screen and select "Control Chart" you can find cycle time info for a specific timeframe - hover over one of the circles on the chart and it will give you the detail.

My question is, is that the only way to see that information or can it be pulled in a more flexible report (like a csv file)? It is extremely valuable data but going through each issue manually is painstaking.
Another nice-to-have would be to be able to cut off-hours out of that chart. If I start a bug on Friday and finish it on Monday, it wasn't in progress for 4 days because I didn't work on Saturday and Sunday - it was only in progress for roughly 2 days.
First things first though, is there a way I can pull the data that is being shown at the issue level on the Control Chart?
Thanks for your help.
This is still open, can I provide any additional info? I know Mingle handles cycle times very smoothly but I greatly prefer Jira so it would be great to figure out how to get this information without manual work. Scott

Hi Scott, just wondering if this was ever resolved? we are also trying to do the same thing.

No response, Steve. And no surprise really. Atlassian isn't known for their customer service and that trend seems to have become worse lately. We ended up building some scripts that pull the data but it would be great if there was a better way. Oh well...

hmmm that's no good. We are really struggling with this, its either export the cycle time or capture a start date so we can calculate the cycle time. Seems like something so simple?

Just to make sure we are thinking of this the same way: The control chart does capture cycle times and you can leverage quick filters to dig into the data a little bit better. The challenge is when you want to dig I'm even further to better identify waste and bottle necks and other trends, especially across many teams. Being able to export the data would be ideal for that but it's not possible.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

102 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you