Export Cycle Times

Scott A August 19, 2013

Is there a way for me to export cycle times for a project? I use the reports but end up manually collecting the cycle times because I can't find a way to export them. Any suggestions?

4 answers

0 votes
Liam Maeder March 28, 2019

Hi Scott

Unfortunately there isn't a way to do this short of a plug in, which I cannot find myself. You can however vote on JSWSERVER-4288 in the JIRA Software Server project, to maybe help to escalate the importance of this added feature.

Warm Regards.

Zoryana Bohutska _SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 13, 2019

Hi @Liam Maeder 
Recently released an app Time Between Statuses.
It can help you calculate the status to status time.
So you can easily monitor the Cycle and Lead Time of your Jira issues and export data you need as XLSX or CSV file.

Best Regards.

0 votes
Steve Truong February 5, 2015

Hi Scott, just wondering if this was ever resolved? we are also trying to do the same thing.

Scott A February 6, 2015

No response, Steve. And no surprise really. Atlassian isn't known for their customer service and that trend seems to have become worse lately. We ended up building some scripts that pull the data but it would be great if there was a better way. Oh well...

Steve Truong February 8, 2015

hmmm that's no good. We are really struggling with this, its either export the cycle time or capture a start date so we can calculate the cycle time. Seems like something so simple?

Scott A February 8, 2015

Just to make sure we are thinking of this the same way: The control chart does capture cycle times and you can leverage quick filters to dig into the data a little bit better. The challenge is when you want to dig I'm even further to better identify waste and bottle necks and other trends, especially across many teams. Being able to export the data would be ideal for that but it's not possible.

Like Joe Stewart likes this
0 votes
Scott A September 5, 2013
This is still open, can I provide any additional info? I know Mingle handles cycle times very smoothly but I greatly prefer Jira so it would be great to figure out how to get this information without manual work. Scott
0 votes
Felipevsw
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 20, 2013

Hi, Scott!
What do you mean by cycle times? Is it time tracking? Versions?

Scott A August 22, 2013

Hi Felipe,

A cycle time is the time that it takes to a unit to get through a workflow, including each step of the way. For example, if I have a User Story that will go from the backlog to a developer (In Dev), then to Ready for QA, then get pulled by QA (In QA), and then go to Acceptance, I can measure how long the unit is in each of those fields. So the cycle time is the time that it is in those fields and the total time from start to finish. Jira already captures this data, if you go to the reports screen and select "Control Chart" you can find cycle time info for a specific timeframe - hover over one of the circles on the chart and it will give you the detail.

My question is, is that the only way to see that information or can it be pulled in a more flexible report (like a csv file)? It is extremely valuable data but going through each issue manually is painstaking.
Another nice-to-have would be to be able to cut off-hours out of that chart. If I start a bug on Friday and finish it on Monday, it wasn't in progress for 4 days because I didn't work on Saturday and Sunday - it was only in progress for roughly 2 days.
First things first though, is there a way I can pull the data that is being shown at the issue level on the Control Chart?
Thanks for your help.
Like # people like this
Mouli March 10, 2020

Ok.. 7 years and still open.. Speaks a lot about an Agile Tool's priorities when providing a quintessential feature for a Kanban board! Just wow!

Like # people like this
James King September 29, 2020

Not really a fast cycle time on this feature :) 

I would be happy to export the data to Excel or Google Sheets to build my dashboard there if I was able to do so.   Does anyone know the best data to export in order to track cycle time between different statuses? 

Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 29, 2020

Hello All,

This is a pretty old post but since you guys are following, let me give you some detail:

The data that can be used to produce reports like Issue Age, Cycle Time, Lead Time are Issue History Data but Jira does not give these data in a UI report.

For Jira Cloud users, you can get this raw data through REST API. For Jira Server and Data Center users, you can get this raw data from the database directly (changelog & changelogitem tables). In either case, this is unprocessed raw data, only issue field changes and dates of those changes, pretty much the same stuff you see in the History tab of each issue.

You would need to do some custom development to turn this into a useful report.

Having said that, I want to note that our team at OBSS built Time in Status app for this exact need. The app processes the issue history data and produces ready to use report. It is available on Atlassian Marketplace for Jira Server, Cloud and Data Center.

Time in Status allows you to see how much time each issue spent on each status or assigned to each assignee as well as entry/exit dates for all statuses. You can calculate averages and sums of those durations grouped by issue fields you select. (For example see the average InProgress time per project and per issuetype). You can also combine statuses into consolidated columns to see metrics like Ticket Age, Cycle Time or Lead Time.

The app calculates its reports using already existing Jira issue histories so when you install the app, you don't need to add anything to your issue workflows and you can get reports on your past issues as well.

You can export your data as XLS, XLSX or CSV and also get processed report data via REST API.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/1211756

EmreT

Mariana_Pryshliak_Saasjet
Marketplace Partner
September 30, 2020

Hello @James King 

You can try Time between Statuses reporting add-on. It calculates both - time between statuses and cycle time. After getting the necessary data, you can export it as XLSX or CSV file.

If you have any additional questions, I'm here to help you.

Best regards, Mariana

TBS with arrows.gif

Like # people like this
James King October 1, 2020

Thanks Mariana, I will look into it

Bloompeak Support
Marketplace Partner
November 12, 2020

If you are looking for a free solution, you can try Status Time Free app.

Suggest an answer