Expired license: renew or purchase a new one?

AT October 17, 2013

The next week our JIRA license will expire. Since we've never asked any supports and having the latest version of JIRA doesn't matter for us - i.e., we don't care to install the upcoming updates - I am evaluating the possibility to not renew the license.

However, if in future we wanted to update JIRA to the latest version, will we need to purchase a new license or just a renewal?

I am asking this because the price of a new JIRA license is higher than the cost of a renewal, therefore finally I might decide to renew our current license.

2 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 17, 2013

If you don't renew now, then you will have to buy a new one if you change your mind later.

Atlassian sales are friendly about this - if you lapse for a short while (for example, grinding paperwork through a corporate purchase order system and it takes months instead of weeks), then they might allow you to post-date the renewal rather than buy a new one. But if you leave it for too long, you will definitely need a new licence.

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 17, 2013

Hi Nic,

in a new license you pay for the right to use JIRA, which is a perpetual right once bought. So they already payed for that right when they bought their first license. Don't they just need a renewal afterwards?

Or am I mistaken?

Best regards,

Peter

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 17, 2013

It's a perpetual licence to use Jira (and their data within it of course), but NOT for upgrades (or support) past the end of the licence.

If you let the licence lapse, you still have a fully working system. But you won't be able to upgrade it, and if you leave it too long, you'll need to buy a new licence in order to become eligible to upgrade. I've got quite a lot of people on old Jiras who are working just fine, but want to move to 5 or 6 and can't because their licence only covers their current version.

There's a skinflint in me saying "if you don't want support and you don't want to upgrade for a minimum of 2 years, then it makes financial sense to let the licence lapse" (until it goes bang and you need support...)

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 17, 2013

So if I understand correctly : when you buy a renewal it will start counting from the last day of your previous support contract (so if you wait 2 years to buy a renewal you would actually have to buy 3 years of renewal to get a new year of support). But if you buy a new license the support period will start from the day you bought the new license?

I always want to learn, and it seems I had this one wrong :)

Best regards,

Peter

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 17, 2013

Yes, that's pretty much what I've had in the past.

AT October 20, 2013

I had the confirmation from the Atlassian team that the Nic's answer is the right one. They wrote me by email:

If you wanted to upgrade to a version of JIRA released after your maintenance expired you would need to renew your maintenance. Since all maintenance renewals commence from the date the previous maintenance period expires, regardless of when the maintenance renewal was purchased, it may make sense depending on how long you wait to purchase a new JIRA license.

1 vote
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 17, 2013

You will just need to buy a renewal, not a new license.

Best regards,

Peter

Suggest an answer