Execute test from jira

girija sahoo March 4, 2014

how to execute test from jira ? For example i have a java application or a command-line tool, i want start the execution from jira and report it as PASSED or FAILED . Is it possible in JIRA ?

If yes please send the steps. Thanks for the help.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2014

What test management and/or test automation system(s) are you using to run the tests?

Generally, all we can really say is "yes, it's possible", but not a lot more without knowing what you're doing.

0 votes

Also if you are saying yes what kind of applicaiton we can run from JIRA. Where i can found the document for that ?

0 votes

These are java applications which is running from eclipse as standalone applications.

i want to execute all them from JIRA as a SUITE and store the result output as a test artifact.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2014

You'll need to do some coding - you need a post-function that can execute the external programs and import the results.

I'd look at the script runner to get started with.

However, I'd also recommend a look at external build and test management tools which are far better suited to running repeated tests and reporting on them. Having a single Jira issue rapidly becomes quite inflexible and uninformative.

Take an example - "I found a bug in application X on my 'phone". That's a Jira issue. The writers of the application write a test case to cover fixing it (where do you keep that case?). The developers do a bit of hacking and say they've fixed it, so you do a test run. It fails, so you re-develop and fix it again, and re-run the test. Then you realise the test plan was missing something, so you add it and re-run the test. Then google update the OS and it might affect the bug, so you re-run the test as a regression test. You can see that a simple test on one bug has many runs, against different versions and even the test can change.

Suggest an answer