Exception on moving issues individually between projects or issue types - help!

Greg Hoggarth May 13, 2014

I've got a weird problem with my JIRA installation. I'm not sure when it started happening or what change may have caused it, things used to work fine.

I can't move issues individually between projects or issue types, I get this error:

Errors
An exception occurred: com.atlassian.jira.util.dbc.Assertions$NullArgumentException: config should not be null!.

It doesn't matter what the source/destination issue type is, or project. Even trying to 'Move', keeping the issue type and the project the same doesn't work.

Weirdly however, if I do a Bulk Change it will let me move issues without any errors or problems at all. So I do have a workaround (although I have limited users that have access to Bulk Change, whereas everyone has access to Move).

Does anyone know where to start in debugging this problem, or what the cause might be?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Greg Hoggarth May 14, 2014

I found the solution. It was because somehow a non-default issue type scheme was marked as the default scheme (this isn't supposed to be possible). I then deleted that scheme as part of some other changes I was making. This was breaking the move behaviour.

Then today I created a new project, which tried to use the default scheme, and it threw the whole system into chaos - no issues could be created for any projects, no filters would work (except under dashboard gadgets). I raised a job with Atlassian Support, and it was resolved within 3 hours of my initial report. The solution is here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Creating+Issues+or+Trying+to+Administer+a+Project+Results+in+NullPointerException<br< a="">>

Note Vladimir's comment that this solves the Move Issue bug, which is what I had here. We applied the fix and all of the symptoms are resolved.

0 votes
codelab expert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2014
0 votes
rambabu patina
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2014

Please add the detailed log file what ever got the exception.

Suggest an answer