Excel import Multi-select custom field data

KRC September 19, 2017

Hi, Guys,

Am in midst of importing excel data into JIRA. Can anyone help me out in solving the following?

There are 400 rows in excel and for few rows(Tickets) we have a multi-select field, how to map multi-select field to excel data so that all multi-selected data appears in corresponding tickets? In excel multi-select field options are separated by a semicolon or by # in some rows, what is the proper format?

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 20, 2017

So while Jira doesn't handle XLS direct imports, you can use excel to save this file as a csv, which Jira can use.

Our guide on Importing data from CSV does explain how to handle this.

Importing to multi select custom fields

Your CSV file can contain multiple entries for the one Multi Select Custom Field. For example:

Summary,Multi Select,Multi Select,Multi Select
Sample issue,Value 1,Value 2,Value 3

This will populate the Multi Select Custom Field with multiple values.

So it might take some adjustment to your xls/csv file in order to format these multi select data sets for import as shown above, but this is the way Jira would expect to import these multi select values.

KRC September 21, 2017

Thank you for the answer. It worked.

Eitan Yomtovian May 15, 2023

@Andy Heinzer 

Are all the columns of the Multi-select field should be filled?

That is, if I have 2 values ​​in one row and 3 values ​​in the next row - then in total there should be 3 columns of the field.
Will I get an error about the empty column of the second row where there is no value?

Suggest an answer