Excel file security export

Benjamin Blanc August 17, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Exporting Search Results to Microsoft Excel

Hello,

When exporting a excel format list from our JIRA plateform, we face a security problem.

The file is blocked because it is considered as a threat from our machine.

The file generated by the JIRA server with the excel format is not recognize as a correct excel format by the laptop of the company.

After investigating, it seems to come from JIRA.

Any ideas on how to generate a valide excel file from our JIRA plateform ?

We are on JIRA 6.3.15

Thanks for your helps,

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2016

The exports are valid xml that say "I'm a spreadsheet", and they work fine in Excel normally.  If they're failing for you, then there's two basic problems it could be - you've customised it and broken it in JIRA, or Excel is broken.

There is a known bug in Excel at the moment - you need to disable the security validation or it opens a blank file (The bug is that it doesn't bother to tell the user why it's malfunctioning, not that it can't open the files)

0 votes
Benjamin Blanc August 17, 2016

Hello,

Thanks for the super fast reply.

We are using Office 365 and after asking my colleagues I don't remember customizing this part of JIRA.

Could you tell me where to find this customizing point in order to control it ?

Regards,

Benjamin

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2016

Ah, it won't be the customisation if your'e on 365.  It's Excel that's broken.  You need to disable the internet security thing.

Benjamin Blanc August 18, 2016

Ok, thanks for the help.

Suggest an answer