Excel 2010 Hyperlinks to Jira

Alexander Scholz September 20, 2017

Hello Atlassian Community,

i've got a problem with mainly Microsoft Excel 2010 when it comes to open a link to our Jira:

Upon the first click onto a Hyperlink that leads to a Jira case, Windows-Security asks to confirm the certificate.

Then i click "OK" and it takes between 15 and 25 seconds to another Pop-up with another securityhint where i have to click yes. Then it opens the link in the browser.

My colleagues even report wait times up to 1 minute while Excel or Word is not responding at all.

While the loading time it says something about: contact with the server to retrieve information is established

Note: Translated from german into english so might not be the exact error message

But when open the link (or another) for the second time, it opens instantly.

Also when open a link to a different webpage.

I hope you can help me there to get the loadtime to an acceptable level.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 21, 2017

Have you added your Jira site URL to the list of trusted sites for this Windows environment?  If not, it might help to do so.

Note the instructions may vary depending on your Windows version.

1. Click Start.
  2. Click Control Panel.
  3. Select Internet Options.
  4. In the Security tab, select Trusted sites.
  5. Click Sites.
  6. Add your JIRA's URL to the text field, and click Add. Note the URL must be prefixed with https.

7. Click Close, and click OK.

I am curious to see if that helps.

I would also be interested to learn if this Microsoft KB on enabling/disabling hyperlink warnings in Office products might be helpful.   Granted that KB has steps to completely disable this security feature, which might not be ideal, but even if used for testing this out might help us to understand if the problem is really caused by these security features in these products, or perhaps there is another problem in regards to the time it takes this system to load that content.

Alexander Scholz September 28, 2017

Thanks for the reply.

Adding the jira page to trusted sites doesn't change the load time. 

The Microsoft soltution isn't working either.

I noticed that when i press ESC during the check of the certificate it instantly opens the page, but the downside is, it will ask again a second time, as the certificate is not loaded properly.

Suggest an answer