Example of email format to create Jira issue via email

Greg Hightshoe August 22, 2013

Our Jira instance is configured to be able to create Jira issues via email (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA052/Creating+Issues+and+Comments+from+Email).

However, surprisingly I cannot find documentation or an example on the format of sending email with the mapping of parameters.

For example, if I wanted to create a bug, with priority 2, on Jira project MYPROJ I would expect to be able to set those via the subject line. Something like:

type=bug pri=2 project=MYPROJ

Can someone help me with where to find this documentation?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 22, 2013

You don't.

The email handlers work on a simple rule: Is there an existing Jira issue named in the subject? If yes, then the body of the email is a comment on that issue. If there is not, then the config of the handler has a project to create the issue in with description = body of email. That's it. (Ok, there's some handling of the body and stuff around users and email addresses, but there's no other routing or field processing)

If you want something more complex, you need to write your own handler, or find a plugin that will do it for you. Standard suggestion - look at the JEMH, it can process fields, multiple projects, clever assignees and much more.

Suggest an answer