Everytime I upgrade my JIRA version, I lose my SSL configuration

Tom Kaminski November 5, 2014

How can I prevent this?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tom Kaminski November 5, 2014

I ended up just copying back atlassian-jira\WEB-INF\web.xml and conf\server.xml from the previous backup and it seems to work.

1 vote
Stephen Gurnick
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2014

When you perform a JIRA upgrade, it will wipe-out changes you made to files (these files include setenv.sh, server.xml, cacerts, and many others).

If you are using the binary installer, it will detect which files have been modified and display them. If you are using the tar.gz to perform the upgrade, then you'll need to have tracked which files you made changes to yourself.

Once the upgrade is complete, you'll need to put your modifications back in place. There is no way to around this.

For SSL specifically, as Jobin stated, you can use Apache for that and take it out of your JIRA configuration. However, if this is not feasible for you, or if you have other modifications (e.g. JVM memory tunings you've made for your environment) you'll need to put these back.

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2014

Another approach is to write a script that saves and restores/merges your changes. Yes it is a customized solution, but it saves time. There are some scripts available for windows as one example.

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 5, 2014

You can configure SSL outside of JIRA, for example in Apache or a load balancer.

Suggest an answer