Even in safe mode I get "500 error: Sorry, we had some technical problems during your last session"

Barrie Walker July 6, 2017

I've just upgrade d to JIRA v7.4.0

When I Browse Projects, all my projects are listed.

When I select (click on) any of the projects I get the error listed in the title.

I saw a thread suggesting safe mode might the be the way do diagnose the faulty add-on.

Even in safe mode the symptoms are the same.

java.lang.RuntimeException: com.atlassian.cache.CacheException: com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference$InitializationException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Invalid BundleContext.

3 answers

0 votes

It turns out to be my fault, but I feel I had a bit of "help" along the way.

I had managed to update using the wrong thing!! The links I followed had somehow got me to https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/core/update which offered me atlassian-jira-core-7.4.0-x64.bin. It seemed plausible (jira and the correct version) so I downloaded and installed it.

Possibly surprisingly, possibly not, the installion/update didn't alert me to the fact (i'm pretty sure) that what was already installed couldn't actulaly be upgraded with this download, but gaily went ahead anyway.

After posting the question, it occured to me that there might be an update to the update or there could have been something wrong with the download itself so decided to download it again.

The second copy was identical but as I went to delete this copy I noticed that the name was different. The 7.3.1 version had was called atlassian-jira-software-7.3.1-x64.bin.

So I've downloaded and installed atlassian-jira-software-7.4.0-x64.bin and all is happy again.

This installation/upgrade also didn't remark that there was something weird with what it was upgrading from.

I'll know for next time.

0 votes

Answer now below.

somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 6, 2017

Haha.  No worries.  Let us know what the actual fix was so others can benefit as well!

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 6, 2017

Hi Barrie,

Please do the following:

1. Stop JIRA
  2. Delete the contents of the following directories:
    • JIRA_HOME/plugins/.bundled-plugins

• JIRA_HOME/plugins/.osgi-plugins
  3. Restart JIRA

If that fails I would probably put in a support ticket for the team to look at the logs a little further as that sounds similar to a bug that was reported in 7.3.6 that you can find at JRASERVER-65382.  I would review the full stack trace in the bug report and see if that matches yours.  If so, try the above steps and if that works for you vote on JRASERVER-65382 to add impact.

Cheers,

Branden

Hi Brendan,

Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it. You just beat me to replying to my own question.

Cheers
Barrie

Sorry for getting your name wrong - should have used copy and paste :(

Suggest an answer