Evaluation Questions

Douglas Wendelboe February 26, 2014

We are a medical device startup company evaluating the JIRA System and some of its plugins. We're on day 3 of evaluating JIRA, Fisheye+Confluence, RMsis, and Go2Group synapseRT. On the latter we have not started the evaluation.

The configuration we have now includes:

1. XAMPP - Which is running Apache to support mySQL.
  2. PC - running Windows XP
  3. JIRA with the above plug-ins installed.
  4. JIRA database is mySQL.

The configuration above is running OK and we are pleased with what we see so far. We occasionally have seen startup coordination problems that we have manually overcome. When we move this configuration to our server, I want to make sure the system and components startup and run without manual support. We will be handing this off to an IT person for operation and backup.

The problem we have seen is that sometimes Fisheye+Confluence running on localhost:8060 fails to start leaving the base JIRA without that plug-in. On startup we sometimes see only JIRA base and parts of the system running. We did locate the startup.bat file and running that does get it started. A very useful plug-in would be a JIRA control panel that would show the status and startup of the various system plug-ins/components--Some local place that the condition of the system could be monitered at startup and occasionally checked during runtime. A good example would be one similar to the XAMPP Panel included in package found at http://www.apachefriends.org/

Is it possible to use the Tomcat server within the XAMPP package rather that separate Tomcat servers in JIRA, Fisheye, and other such add-ons?

Do we dare pull all into one folder/subfolders when we move to the server?

Thanks for listening and asking.

G'Day,

Doug Wendelboe

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Douglas Wendelboe February 28, 2014

Thanks Piotr.... That worked fine.

0 votes
Nick
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 27, 2014

The problem we have seen is that sometimes Fisheye+Confluence running on localhost:8060 fails to start leaving the base JIRA without that plug-in.

Just a few clarifications:

• I think you are referring to FishEye+Crucible. Confluence is Atlassian's Enterprise WIKI and Collaboration platform.
  • What do you mean by: "start leaving the base JIRA without that plug-in" ?

Which plug-in are you referring to here ? FishEye+Crucible integrate with JIRA, however they are an independent product, and should run fine without JIRA as JIRA should run fine without FishEye+Crucible.

Douglas Wendelboe February 27, 2014

Thanks for your response. It's been a long day.

Sorry, I meant FishEye+Crucible as the separate server.

On the second item, on a Windows startup I have setup JIRA, Apache, and mySQL to start as services. Then we have to go to c:\fisheye\bin\start.bat to get the Fisheye+Crucible app running.

Can I start F+C automatically as a service also? Or can I somehow have JIRA run
c:\fisheye\bin\start.bat when it starts?

Sorry for the confusion, and thanks again.

Piotr Swiecicki
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 27, 2014

Hi Douglas,

It is certainly possible to stsart FishEye/Crucible as a windows service, it is documented in https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/FISHEYE/Running+FishEye+as+a+Windows+service.

I hope that would solve your problems.

Kind regards,

Piotr

Suggest an answer