Estimations: Problem with languages other than English

Michael Holtermann May 17, 2017

In the "JIRA Ultimate Role Tracking and Estimation" plugin we stumble about a problem when using JIRA in German language:

1. Set the UI's language to German in user's profile
  2. Create or edit a ticket, setting e.g. "5d" into an estimation field
  3. Submit and open ticket again
  4. Please note - the estimation field contains "5t" now ("t" means "Tage" in German)
  5. Submit again

Now you'll see a red error message beside the field: "Invalid original estimate entered". To submit, you must replace the "t" with a "d".

JIRA's original time tracking field do support this behavior.

(We set JIRA's render format for time tracking on /admin/TimeTrackingAdmin tracking to dates instead of the nice week/day/hour setting.) 

It would be nice ifyou could check and hopefully fix this behavior.

Thanks in advance!

Michael

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Abhinav Ojha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2017

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the suggestion. We will definitly look into taking care of this in the next release.

Thanks,

Abhinav.

Michael Holtermann June 8, 2017

Hi Abhinav,

I'm affraid the problem is more important than we thought.

With UI in English, the Add-On will save the total estimation in Jira's own fields, making it available for other processes like reports or Portfolio for Jira, which we use for strategic planning.

Now, with the issue described above, the total estimation is not written to the orginal fields.

The user must switch to English and update the estimations to correct this issue (resulting in some confusion, since in English one must enter e.g. "0.5d" for half of a day - with a dot as decimal seperator. On German keyboards, the NumPad provides a ","...)

Thanks in advance!

Regards, Michael.

Abhinav Ojha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 13, 2017

Hi Michael,

Sorry for the delay, as it has been a busy month.

We tested this one out. So, if i am not wrong, the built in time tracking, while editing will show the day in "d" format and not "t" as in our plugin. Also, built in time tracking gives error when tiume is entred in "t" instead of "d", but will allow "," instead of ".".

Also, while you are viewing the time tracking values, they show up in "t".

We are trying to make it work like this. If our analysis is wrong or something is missing, please let us know. We will get this one up asap.

Thanks,

Abhinav.

Michael Holtermann June 15, 2017

Hi Abhinav,

I'm pretty sure this feature worked in earlier versions, maybe it broke with latest 1.8.92, when the "total" row was introduced.

Wouldn't it be possible to respect the user's language settings when copying the total to the internal time tracking field?

Your analysis seems right to me. If I do not change the values in the built in fields, I can submit with "5,5t". But on change, I have to use "6,5d".

Best regards,

Michael

Abhinav Ojha
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 23, 2017

Hi Michael,

Apologies for the delay. We have fixed this and uploaded a new version of the add on. Please check it out and let us know if it has been fixed for you.

Thank You,

Abhinav.

Michael Holtermann June 27, 2017

Hi Abhinav,

this seems to work again now, thanks a lot! We've tested and updated our live system with 1.8.93.

Best regards,

Michael

Abhinav Ojha
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 27, 2017

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the update and accepting the answer. Good to know it is working for you.

Best Regards,

Abhinav.

Suggest an answer