Estimated time for subtasks in JIRA

Juan Pérez May 8, 2017

Can someone help me please:

When I create a user history (parent) and create the subtasks How is the estimated time allocated to the subtasks (Parent User History Tasks)?

1) I create the user story (Father)
2) Record the estimate in hours of the user history
3) I create the user history subtasks
4) I create the Sprint (Click on "Create Sprint")
5) Drag user stories to Sprint.
6) I click on "Start Sprint" and it shows me message:

Message in JIRA: The XXXXX issue (s) have no value for the Estimation field. Values entered after the start of the sprint will be considered as range changes.

How do I register the estimated time of the subtasks (User History Tasks)?

2 answers

0 votes
Concert Admin May 18, 2017

I´ve this same problem.

I used to estimate subtasks and then the sum of it would be the final estimate, the story estimate.

I remember I´ve already did it last month but now I cant find where set the estimate to subtasks. 

When did it change? 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2017

I'm sorry, but the short answer is that you don't.

There's two things in play here. 

First, the message you are getting is possibly a genuine warning, suggesting that your board might be estimating on one field, but not the time-tracking fields.  (It might also mean you really haven't put data in, but I think you have)

Second, estimates on sub-tasks are ignored by JIRA Software.  It doesn't expect you to put them on there.  Estimates should be done on the parent level.

Suggest an answer