Estimate field is missing from Scrum Board

Mehmet Catalbas October 2, 2013

When I'm trying to create a Sprint, I don't see the Estimate field even though I enabled Time Tracking in JIRA and set Log Work, Time Tracking fields under my Screen.

See the attached image, there is only Remaining field which is useless in Plan mode.

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
AgentSmith
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 3, 2013

Go to Board > Configure then click the Estimation tab

Change the Estimation Statistics from Story Points to Original Time Estimate, then the Remaining Estimate and Time Spent radio button

More details on that here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Configuring+Estimation+and+Tracking

Hope this helps!

jasonbell April 2, 2014

I see no Estimation tab at Board > Configure?

methetton September 11, 2015

Me either!

Deleted user November 14, 2016

Me too!

Chris Casey July 13, 2017

Click "..." ->Board Settings

Click Estimation in nav bar

Make adjustments mentioned above

erick September 6, 2017

... -> Board Settings 
I don't have any  Tab, menu or button called "Estimation" 

seanjmc December 4, 2017

Board > Configure?

Is that meant to be board ->project settings?  In any case, can't find estimation field not even under issue type default fields.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 4, 2017

No, it's Board -> Configure

You need to start with a look at the board configuration to check that the board is using "estimate" for its statistics on the estimation settings tab.

Then you need to make sure the board configuration tells the issue view to include the time tracking field

Nguyen Anh Nguyen March 14, 2018

Already done: "

Go to Board > Configure then click the Estimation tab

Change the Estimation Statistics from Story Points to Original Time Estimate, then the Remaining Estimate and Time Spent radio button"

But the estimation field still not there

Like Jeremy Dawson likes this
dhanuka May 17, 2018

I'm using a free trial. Is that the reason that "Configure" tab is not appeared ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2018

You don't have board administration rights.

Tejvir Singh May 29, 2018

I have tried doing this. But I still can't change it from "unestimated". Any other setting I need to change? 

Neha Damania June 25, 2018

Hi, I do not see any Board->configure either. i dont see story points field though i am able to configure it. my sprint is also on going.

i am the Admin to the project and just created the link and new project. i am currently on a free trial for 7 days. 

also shows me that estimation feature is coming soon.  please help. 

Capture.PNG

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 25, 2018

You're using an "Agility" board, which doesn't have the Board -> Config that Scrum and Kanban boards get.

Erika Sa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 25, 2018

Hi @Neha Damania

Currently agility project doesn't support estimation. However, as indicated on features page, it is coming soon (specifically, story pointing). In the meantime, you can create a new project called "scrum project" and follow above-mentioned direction to try out estimation in your evaluation period. 

Erika Sa

Atlassian product manager

Neha Damania June 25, 2018

Thanks Nic and @Erika Sa  for your help. i have now created a new scrum project. and done the required configuration from Board settings -> estimation. and in filed configuration as well story points is configured to be on 3 screens. but i am still unable to see the estimation/story points field on the stories.

When i try to start the sprint, it says "tickets do not have a value for the 'Estimate' field. Values entered after the start of the sprint will be treated as scope change." please help. 

config.PNG

Board config.PNGSPMissing.PNG

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 26, 2018

The easiest way to find and fix this one is to click "edit" and then use "where is my field" under the "configure fields" at the top right.  That will walk you through all the possible reasons the estimate is missing.  Ask it about the "time tracking" field.

The reason it is warning you about empty estimates is that in Scrum, you commit to doing a set of pieces of work who's estimates fit within what you think you can achieve.  Without estimates going into a sprint, you can't measure that.

Neha Damania June 26, 2018

yey !! thanks tons. I did go to the "where is my field" yesterday as it is pretty intuitive but did not scorll down in the pop up where it suggested config change :(. all good now :) thanks again.  

3 votes
Douglas Beckett August 21, 2018

I had this same problem and none of the information above helped to fix it.   Finally tracked the problem back to using the "Scrum" (under "Featured") vs. the "Scrum (classic)" (under "Other") template option when creating a new project.   The "Featured/Scrum" option seems to be very different than most of the documentation here where many of the options posed as solutions above do not yet exist (I imagine this is a beta version, etc.?).   For instance, there is no "Board Settings" option anywhere on this template and no matter what i did with permissions/etc., the Estimation feature stayed as "COMING SOON".    Switch to the "Scrum (classic)" option and all of your headaches over this will finally be removed + everything will make sense like it did for me!

Suggest an answer