Errors and questions when upgrading from JIRA 4.1.2 to JIRA 6.0

Daniel S August 18, 2013

Hello,

I am currently preparing to upgrade our JIRA environment from JIRA 4.1.2 to JIRA 6.0 standalone on Linux. I have two questions:

1. I am following the instructions to upgrade JIRA manually (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA060/Upgrading+JIRA+Manually). These instructions note that after installing the new version of JIRA, I should copy my 4.1.2 JIRA Home directory to the new server and point JIRA v6.0 to this directory. I therefore created a new directory, JIRA412_HOME and copied the contents across into here. What is the reasoning to doing it this way rather than just copying all the data into the 6.0 Home directory? The root directory now looks like this:

atlassian-jira-6.0-standalone JIRA412_HOME JIRA_HOME JIRA_HOME

Can I remove one of either JIRA412_HOME or JIRA_HOME (I'm not sure why there are two JIRA_HOME directories there now)?

2. We run JIRA 4.1.2 on a MySQL database and plan to do the same for JIRA 6.0. Our infrastructure team is still setting up MySQL on the new environment, so whilst that is ongoing I have been practicing the migration to the out of the box HSQLDB. Following the same set of instructions, I have migrated my existing JIRA configurations to the new JIRA installation and then imported the old JIRA data into JIRA 6.0. The migration failed with the following error:

Exception thrown during upgrade: java.util.Collections-UnmodifiableList : java.util.Collections-UnmodifiableList
com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.CannotResolveClassException: java.util.Collections-UnmodifiableList : java.util.Collections-UnmodifiableList
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.DefaultMapper.realClass(DefaultMapper.java:68)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.MapperWrapper.realClass(MapperWrapper.java:38)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.DynamicProxyMapper.realClass(DynamicProxyMapper.java:71)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.MapperWrapper.realClass(MapperWrapper.java:38)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.PackageAliasingMapper.realClass(PackageAliasingMapper.java:88)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.ClassAliasingMapper.realClass(ClassAliasingMapper.java:86)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.ArrayMapper.realClass(ArrayMapper.java:96)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.mapper.CachingMapper.realClass(CachingMapper.java:52)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.util.HierarchicalStreams.readClassType(HierarchicalStreams.java:31)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.start(TreeUnmarshaller.java:136)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractTreeMarshallingStrategy.unmarshal(AbstractTreeMarshallingStrategy.java:33)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.XStream.unmarshal(XStream.java:923)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.XStream.unmarshal(XStream.java:909)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.XStream.fromXML(XStream.java:853)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.XStream.fromXML(XStream.java:845)
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.customfields.manager.DefaultGenericConfigManager.fromXml(DefaultGenericConfigManager.java:133)
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.customfields.manager.DefaultGenericConfigManager.retrieve(DefaultGenericConfigManager.java:88)
at com.atlassian.jira.issue.customfields.manager.CachedGenericConfigManager.retrieve(CachedGenericConfigManager.java:65)
at com.atlassian.jira.upgrade.tasks.UpgradeTask_Build6045.processCustomFieldDefaults(UpgradeTask_Build6045.java:84)
at com.atlassian.jira.upgrade.tasks.UpgradeTask_Build6045.doUpgrade(UpgradeTask_Build6045.java:65)
at com.atlassian.jira.upgrade.UpgradeManagerImpl.doUpgradeTaskSuccess(UpgradeManagerImpl.java:673)
at com.atlassian.jira.upgrade.UpgradeManagerImpl.runUpgradeTasks(UpgradeManagerImpl.java:526)
at com.atlassian.jira.upgrade.UpgradeManagerImpl.doUpgrade(UpgradeManagerImpl.java:456)
at com.atlassian.jira.upgrade.UpgradeManagerImpl.doUpgradeIfNeeded(UpgradeManagerImpl.java:399)
at com.atlassian.jira.upgrade.UpgradeManagerImpl.doUpgradeIfNeededAndAllowed(UpgradeManagerImpl.java:333)
at com.atlassian.jira.bc.dataimport.DefaultDataImportService.upgradeJira(DefaultDataImportService.java:802)
at com.atlassian.jira.bc.dataimport.DefaultDataImportService.performImport(DefaultDataImportService.java:694)
at com.atlassian.jira.bc.dataimport.DefaultDataImportService.doImport(DefaultDataImportService.java:273)
at com.atlassian.jira.web.action.setup.DataImportAsyncCommand.call(DataImportAsyncCommand.java:66)
at com.atlassian.jira.web.action.setup.DataImportAsyncCommand.call(DataImportAsyncCommand.java:29)
at com.atlassian.jira.task.ImportTaskManagerImpl$TaskCallableDecorator.call(ImportTaskManagerImpl.java:146)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:334)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:166)
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:471)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:334)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:166)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1145)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:724)

I'm kind of stuck at this point, if anyone had any ideas on how to move forward I would appreciate it.

1 answer

0 votes
pkirkeby
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2013

Hi Daniel,

1. You only need one 'JIRA Home Directory'. Which one is being used depends on how you set it: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Setting+your+JIRA+Home+Directory

2. I'm not sure if that class is a part of a standard JIRA installation, so it might be from a plugin/Add-On. I'd suggest trying a restore without the plugins located in '<jira-home>/plugins' or possibly using a clean 'JIRA Home Directory'.

Daniel S August 19, 2013

Hi Pelle,

Thanks for your response.

1. Thanks for clarifying.

2. If I went with using a "clean JIRA Home Directory", do you mean to not follow the upgrade instructions (keep the JIRA home directory pointed to the standard JIRA 6 directory rather than pointing it to the imported JIRA 4.12 home) and try to import the data again?

pkirkeby
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2013

Yes, I would try that as a test.

Daniel S August 25, 2013

I gave that a try, but unfortunately no luck :(

According to catalina.out, the problem occurs when "converting default Custom field values for User and MultiUser types to store the key of the user rather than the username". I thought it may be related to the issue here (https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/172342/problem-upgrading-to-6-0), but even after I disable the script runner plugin from the front end, I get the same issue (When I first reported this issue, I did not have it installed on the new JIRA).

Here's the catalina.out log file just before the error:

2013-08-26 12:11:54,210 JiraImportTaskExecutionThread-1 INFO daniel 729x360x1 1n66qvq 10.109.5.178 /secure/admin/XmlRestore.jspa [atlassian.jira.upgrade.UpgradeManagerImpl] Performing Upgrade Task: Converting default Custom field values for User and MultiUser types to store the key of the user rather than the username.
2013-08-26 12:11:54,211 JiraImportTaskExecutionThread-1 INFO daniel 729x360x1 1n66qvq 10.109.5.178 /secure/admin/XmlRestore.jspa [jira.upgrade.tasks.UpgradeTask_Build6045] Updating custom field 'Code Reviewed By', 1 of 4
/secure/admin/XmlRestore.jspa [jira.upgrade.tasks.UpgradeTask_Build6045] Updating custom field 'Watching teams', 4 of 4
2013-08-26 12:11:54,230 JiraImportTaskExecutionThread-1 ERROR daniel 729x360x1 1n66qvq 10.109.5.178 /secure/admin/XmlRestore.jspa [atlassian.jira.upgrade.UpgradeManagerImpl] Exception thrown during upgrade: java.util.Collections-UnmodifiableList : java.util.Collections-UnmodifiableList

Suggest an answer