Error while importing project

Shai Dahan April 4, 2016

Hello,

I wonder if someone came across with the following error while importing a project from one JIRA instance to another (JIRA version 7.1.1)

2016-04-01 01:47:03,483 JiraTaskExectionThread-6 ERROR shai.dahan 103x3090x1 13tcomw 195.244.215.4,127.0.0.1 /secure/admin/ProjectImportSummary.jspa [c.a.j.imports.xml.DefaultBackupXmlParser] Unexpected import failure
java.lang.NumberFormatException: null
        at java.lang.Long.parseLong(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Long.valueOf(Unknown Source)
        at com.atlassian.greenhopper.imports.SprintImportHandler.endTable(SprintImportHandler.java:105)
        at com.atlassian.jira.imports.project.ao.handler.ChainedAoSaxHandler.endTable(ChainedAoSaxHandler.java:260)
        at com.atlassian.jira.imports.project.ao.handler.ChainedAoSaxHandler.endElement(ChainedAoSaxHandler.java:187)
        at com.atlassian.jira.imports.project.ao.handler.ChainedAoSaxHandler.endElement(ChainedAoSaxHandler.java:148)
        at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.endElement(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanEndElement(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDispatcher.dispatch(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
        at com.atlassian.security.xml.RestrictedXMLReader.parse(RestrictedXMLReader.java:103)
        at com.atlassian.jira.imports.xml.DefaultBackupXmlParser$XmlParser.parseXml(DefaultBackupXmlParser.java:115)
        at com.atlassian.jira.imports.xml.DefaultBackupXmlParser.parse(DefaultBackupXmlParser.java:64)
        at com.atlassian.jira.imports.xml.DefaultBackupXmlParser.parseXml(DefaultBackupXmlParser.java:52)
        at com.atlassian.jira.imports.xml.DefaultBackupXmlParser.parseAoBackupXml(DefaultBackupXmlParser.java:46)
        at com.atlassian.jira.imports.project.DefaultProjectImportManager.importAoData(DefaultProjectImportManager.java:708)
        at com.atlassian.jira.imports.project.DefaultProjectImportManager.doImport(DefaultProjectImportManager.java:656)
        at com.atlassian.jira.bc.imports.project.DefaultProjectImportService.doImport(DefaultProjectImportService.java:416)
        at com.atlassian.jira.web.action.admin.importer.project.ProjectImportSummary$ProjectImportCallable.call(ProjectImportSummary.java:285)
        at com.atlassian.jira.web.action.admin.importer.project.ProjectImportSummary$ProjectImportCallable.call(ProjectImportSummary.java:236)
        at com.atlassian.jira.task.TaskManagerImpl$TaskCallableDecorator.call(TaskManagerImpl.java:453)
        at com.atlassian.jira.task.TaskManagerImpl$TaskCallableDecorator.call(TaskManagerImpl.java:421)
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
        at com.atlassian.jira.task.ForkedThreadExecutor$ForkedRunnableDecorator.run(ForkedThreadExecutor.java:216)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

After Re-indexing has been completed, I've noticed that all the project issues have but created but most of the agile related data (ranks and sprints) are missing.

Initially I thought it might to do with this bug https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/project-import-fails-with-unexpected-import-failure-803603791.html, although it is slightly different error message, where it speaks orphaned rank values.

The cause of the import failure mentioned in this KB is that the rank values in the activeobjects.xml refer to a non-existing rank, where in my case it look like it is the sprint values.

However I couldn't find exactly how to rectify this issue.

The related tables in the database are:

• AO_60DB71_SPRINT (contains all the sprint values)
  • AO_60DB71_SPRINTMARKER (this one is empty in my DB)

(The suggested workaround in that article doesn't apply to my case)

The project import fails by not creating the ranking and not importing the relevant information for the agile boards.

Any suggestions will highly appreciated.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 6, 2016

Did you check your atlassian-jira.log file for any errors reported before this exception ?

This error is most probably caused by the sprint was not being created thus the importer can not resolve it later when it tries to find the "new sprint"   corresponding  to a sprint id found in an issue being imported. You can check in the database if there are issues that have a value set for the Sprint field pointing to a non-existing sprint.

Do a select on the customfieldvalue table filtering by sprint field id and then and check if all of the sprint ids in the value column  actually exist in the AO_60DB71_SPRINT table

Shai Dahan April 6, 2016

Hi Boris,

That is exactly the issue; how can I find the orphaned sprint values?
customfieldvalue  table contains only the following field values:

show columns from customfieldvalue;

+-------------+---------------+------+-----+---------+-------+

| Field       | Type          | Null | Key | Default | Extra |

+-------------+---------------+------+-----+---------+-------+

| ID          | decimal(18,0) | NO   | PRI | NULL    |       |

| ISSUE       | decimal(18,0) | YES  | MUL | NULL    |       |

| CUSTOMFIELD | decimal(18,0) | YES  |     | NULL    |       |

| PARENTKEY   | varchar(255)  | YES  |     | NULL    |       |

| STRINGVALUE | varchar(255)  | YES  |     | NULL    |       |

| NUMBERVALUE | decimal(18,6) | YES  |     | NULL    |       |

| TEXTVALUE   | longtext      | YES  |     | NULL    |       |

| DATEVALUE   | datetime      | YES  |     | NULL    |       |

| VALUETYPE   | varchar(255)  | YES  |     | NULL    |      

It doesn't hold any information on the sprint.

Shai Dahan April 6, 2016

As for your first question, atlassian-jira.log file doesn't have any error prior to this exception.

tailing the catalina.out will show that the import process progress as plan up till the point it creates the custom field values and then it through the error:

2016-03-31 19:50:43,897 JiraTaskExectionThread-18 INFO shai.dahan 1187x5166x1 1iwblt9 10.79.2.31 /secure/admin/ProjectImportSummary.jspa [c.a.j.imports.project.DefaultProjectImportManager] Finished creating the attachments.

2016-03-31 19:50:43,897 JiraTaskExectionThread-18 INFO shai.dahan 1187x5166x1 1iwblt9 10.79.2.31 /secure/admin/ProjectImportSummary.jspa [c.a.j.imports.project.DefaultProjectImportManager] Creating custom field values.

2016-03-31 19:50:43,999 JiraTaskExectionThread-18 WARN shai.dahan 1187x5166x1 1iwblt9 10.79.2.31 /secure/admin/ProjectImportSummary.jspa [c.a.j.i.project.customfield.VersionCustomFieldImporter] The version custom field 'Found In Version' references a version with id '11704' that is an orphan value. The value will not be imported.

2016-03-31 19:50:44,011 JiraTaskExectionThread-18 WARN shai.dahan 1187x5166x1 1iwblt9 10.79.2.31 /secure/admin/ProjectImportSummary.jspa [c.a.j.i.project.customfield.VersionCustomFieldImporter] The version custom field 'Found In Version' references a version with id '11704' that is an orphan value. The value will not be imported.

2016-03-31 19:50:48,452 JiraTaskExectionThread-18 INFO shai.dahan 1187x5166x1 1iwblt9 10.79.2.31 /secure/admin/ProjectImportSummary.jspa [c.a.j.imports.project.DefaultProjectImportManager] Finished creating custom field values.

2016-03-31 19:50:48,454 JiraTaskExectionThread-18 INFO shai.dahan 1187x5166x1 1iwblt9 10.79.2.31 /secure/admin/ProjectImportSummary.jspa [c.a.j.imports.project.DefaultProjectImportManager] Importing Non Issue data.

2016-03-31 19:50:50,612 JiraTaskExectionThread-18 INFO shai.dahan 1187x5166x1 1iwblt9 10.79.2.31 /secure/admin/ProjectImportSummary.jspa [c.a.j.imports.project.DefaultProjectImportManager] Finished creating custom field values.

2016-03-31 19:50:52,267 JiraTaskExectionThread-18 ERROR shai.dahan 1187x5166x1 1iwblt9 10.79.2.31 /secure/admin/ProjectImportSummary.jspa [c.a.j.imports.xml.DefaultBackupXmlParser] Unexpected import failure

java.lang.NumberFormatException: null

at java.lang.Long.parseLong(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Long.valueOf(Unknown Source)

Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2016

Hi Shai,

Here's how you can get the missing sprint values and see the custom field value to sprint mapping

-- MySQL 
-- Get the id of the Sprint field
SET @sprintField = (select id from customfield where cfname='Sprint');
-- Find non-existing sprints
select * from customfieldvalue where customfield = @sprintField
and stringvalue not in 
(select ID from AO_60DB71_SPRINT);
-- See all sprint field values and corresponding sprints
select sp.name, sp.ID, cf.*  from customfieldvalue cf
LEFT JOIN AO_60DB71_SPRINT sp ON sp.ID=cf.stringvalue
where customfield = @sprintField;

Can you send me the entire portion of the log between the import start and import start to boris.georgiev@botronsoft.com ?

Shai Dahan April 7, 2016

Hello Boris,

Thank you for your help, I really appreciated it.

I've sent the log to your mailbox, so you can review it.

Shai Dahan April 9, 2016

Actual resolution was to delete from the database the following entries:

delete from customfieldvalue where customfield = 10100 and stringvalue not in (select ID from AO_60DB71_SPRINT);

Apparently there were deleted sprints, which have still had traces in issues within the project.

in order to find these issues, I had to run the following JQL query:

id in (31521, 25535, 23651, 46305, 46981, 48148, 48480, 48755, 48756, 48758, 48760, 48761, 48777, 48853, 48856, 49128)

Instead of deleting this issues, I've removed the entries from custom field Sprint (10100)

Thank you Boris for pointing to the right direction,

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 23, 2019

Wow this exact SQL query saved my day !

Thank you very much @Shai Dahan 

Suggest an answer