Error when importing csv to JIRA

Natalie Wenz September 9, 2014

Hello,

I tried to import some data from csv file into JIRA.

My csv structure is similar to the examples from https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Importing+Data+from+CSV.

My result looks really weird. One problem is that UFT-8 that does not know german characters. Does someone has a workaround for that? 

The second problem is that when I seperate the custom fields by "," the import doesn't recognize this.

My csv structure looks like this:

Typ,Issue Id,Summary,Status,Created,Due Date,Priority,Sprint,Assignee,Estimated,Logged,Description
Epic,1"Summary1",Open,02.07.2014,,major,,,,, 
Story,2"Summary2",Resolved,02.07.2014,major,,,,3600, 

My result in the import wizard looks like this:

;Summary 
(imported assummary)
;02.07.2014
;07.08.2014
;08.07.2014
;09.07.2014
;13.08.2014
;17.07.2014
;20.08.2014
;21.08.2014
Typ 
(imported asissuetype)
Epic
Story

It always put a semicolon in front of the field. Any ideas why this is happening?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
pborkowski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2014

Hello Natalie,

I guess that you are using some spreadsheet application to create your CSV file (e.g: Microsoft Excel). It seems to be adding some special characters to your file when you save it. To really check how your file looks, before import please open it via simple text editor (such as Notepad for example). That should help you diagnose your problem.

Depending on software, that you are using, you can force spreadsheet application to save you file as .csv file (then you wouldn't even need to manually place commas in your file).

If you need any further help with this problem, please let me know, I'll be more than happy to help you with your problem.

Cheers,

Przemek

Natalie Wenz September 14, 2014

Thanks this was the problem. After I opened the file with notepad and deleted the characters that was added from excel everything worked fine.

Suggest an answer