Error: summary: you must provide a summary of the issue

Eric Rathofer July 13, 2015

I am having an error pop up when I am attempting to create an issue. The error is "summary: you must provide a summary of the issue". However, in the fields (Project, issue type, description, etc) there is nothing that is a summary. I have everything filled in that I can, but this keeps popping up.

I have gone into "configure fields" and turned them all on, de-selected what I don't need and it keeps popping up.

Any assistance would be great!

Eric

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 13, 2015

You need to enter a summary.  There is a system field with that name, and it is ALWAYS mandatory.

What you have managed to do is remove it from the "create" screen.  You need to add it back.  

As a JIRA admin, go to the project configuration screen, look for "issue type screen scheme".  Descend into it and find the "screen scheme" for your issue (there may be only one, labelled default, but you may have several for different issue types, you may need to check the others too).  The "screen scheme" will list what screens are used for create, edit, view and/or default.   Go into the one for "create" (or default if there is no "create") and add the summary back on to the screen.

HarryH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2015

It is is because in in your "Field Configurations", the summary is always required.

So you have to add "Summary" in your screen.

Suggest an answer