Error starting Jira manually

Mike October 15, 2012

I get this error from Jira when I start Tomcat manually from a shell console. It works fine if I'm not logged in when Tomcat starts, ie a system reboot.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike Oatsvall

___ Starting the JIRA Plugin System _________________

2012-10-16 07:56:54,353 main INFO [atlassian.plugin.manager.DefaultPluginManager] Initialising the plugin system
Xlib: connection to "localhost:10.0" refused by server

Xlib: PuTTY X11 proxy: wrong authorisation protocol attempted

2012-10-16 07:56:56,666 main ERROR [atlassian.event.internal.EventPublisherImpl] There was an exception thrown trying to dispatch event 'com.atlassian.plugin.event.events.PluginFrameworkStartingEvent@9ff5160' from the invoker 'com.atlassian.event.internal.SingleParameterMethodListenerInvoker@165bece2'.
java.lang.RuntimeException: Can't connect to X11 window server using 'localhost:10.0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable.
at com.atlassian.event.internal.SingleParameterMethodListenerInvoker.invoke(SingleParameterMethodListenerInvoker.java:54)
at com.atlassian.event.internal.AsynchronousAbleEventDispatcher$2.run(AsynchronousAbleEventDispatcher.java:60)
at com.atlassian.event.internal.AsynchronousAbleEventDispatcher$1.execute(AsynchronousAbleEventDispatcher.java:28)
at com.atlassian.event.internal.AsynchronousAbleEventDispatcher.dispatch(AsynchronousAbleEventDispatcher.java:56)
at com.atlassian.event.internal.EventPublisherImpl.invokeListeners(EventPublisherImpl.java:151)
at com.atlassian.event.internal.EventPublisherImpl.publish(EventPublisherImpl.java:70)
at com.atlassian.multitenant.event.DefaultPeeringEventPublisherManager.publish(DefaultPeeringEventPublisherManager.java:17)
at com.atlassian.multitenant.event.PeeringEventPublisher.publish(PeeringEventPublisher.java:23)

2 answers

0 votes
LucasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 15, 2012

Hi Mike,

I'm not sure why it is happening, JIRA seems to be trying to connect via X11 on a remote display (Putty w/ XMing? :)). However, this is only a requirement for running the config.sh script. So what script are you invoking to start JIRA manually? Do you have performed any modification on it?

Best regards,
Lucas Timm

Mike October 15, 2012

Tomcat deploys Jira. I'm manually starting Tomcat ssing the same script RHEL uses in /local/etc/rc.d

I'm not sure why Jira is trying to connect to a display.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 15, 2012

Sounds like the user that Jira runs as has a different environment when you start it manually. Who does it run as, and are you using the same account and environment as a system-boot for it?

Mike October 15, 2012

I have a script in /local/etc/rc.d called S980Tomcat

I start it as root and Tomcat switches to run as the user tomcat. It should be no different from the way the system starts Tomcat.

The only difference is when I’m logged in I have a shell environment with variables set and for some reason Jira seems to want to talk to the console via X11.

Suggest an answer