Error rendering for issue field default value

Yanduganov Andrey December 10, 2017

I design custom field and I have some problems.

On configure custom field page I have error while rendering default value:

Clip2net_171211133706.png

And logs says only

[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] 2017-12-11 13:36:18,642 http-nio-2990-exec-1 
WARN admin 816x15671x1 1h3fidh 10.16.33.34 /secure/admin/ConfigureCustomField!default.jspa
[c.atlassian.ozymandias.SafePluginPointAccess]
Unable to run plugin code because of 'java.lang.NullPointerException - null'.

I don't need any default value for this field. Can I remove this parameter or make correct render?

1 answer

0 votes
Ivan Tovbin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2017

Hi Andrey,

Which version of Jira do you have? The problem you are encountering looks very similar to the one described in this ticket:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-11849

And apparently it has been fixed in 7.4.1

Yanduganov Andrey December 11, 2017

I use 7.2.2

Is there any workaround if I can not use 7.4.1?

Ivan Tovbin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2017

If this field does have a default value, and as you have said you don't need it, you can try removing it by directly modifying DB record. Make sure you do a backup of your DB before you make any modifications to it.

Another solution might be simply deleting this field and making a new one, provided of course that you can afford deleting it and that this behaviour only manifests for this very field and not all other fields of this type.

Also keep in mind that if the behaviour you are encountering is indeed the one described in the bug ticket I mentioned then according to that ticket:  "This issue is a JIRA UI problem in the Field Configuration only. It indicates that JIRA cannot display the Default Value of the field, it does not affect your boards or prevent issues from being shown." In other words you can simply ignore this error as it is only shown on the field config screen and doesn't really affect your boards, filters etc. To confirm that the behavior you are encountering is the bug reported in the ticket I would suggest contacting Atlassian Support.

Yanduganov Andrey December 11, 2017

Thank you, Ivan!

Now I just ingore this error.

Suggest an answer