Error rendering 'databaseinput'. Please contact your JIRA administrators.

Eric Immerman November 6, 2015

We are not sure where to look next.  We are getting the following error on the Kepler Database Custom Field Plugin:  Error rendering 'databaseinput'. Please contact your JIRA administrators.

Here are the details:

1. The custom fields were working prior to the upgrade to JIRA 7.0.  We upgraded from 6.4.10.
  2. We are obviously running the Server version of JIRA.
  3. If we remove the connection info from the context.xml in the conf folder, the field will actual render but will only have None in the drop down.
  4. Here is the info from the context.xml file.  I have removed the password and IPs.
    1. <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
      <Context>                                  -->
          <WatchedResource>WEB-INF/web.xml</WatchedResource>
          <WatchedResource>${catalina.base}/conf/web.xml</WatchedResource>
      <Resource name="JIRACustomTables"
            auth="Container" type="javax.sql.DataSource"
            username="username"
            password="password"
            driverClassName="net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver"
            url="jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://1.1.1.1:1433/JIRACustomTables" />
      </Context>
  5. If we change the username or password to be incorrect in the Context file then the field will also render and show only None in the dropdown.
  6. We have updated all plugins and are not getting any as action required.
  7. We have tested the Query and it works directly against the DB.
  8. We do not see any errors in the logs we have looked at.  With the exception of getting an error when we put the incorrect password or user name.  We are looking in the ..\ProgramFiles\Atlassian\Jira\Logs and ..\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA\log folders.  We are not sure if there is some other place we should be looking to capture the plugin error.
  9. We tried uninstalling and reinstalling the plug-in.
  10. We tried adding a new field and it has the same results.
  11. We have restarted JIRA several times.
  12. We have verified that the ..\JIRA\lib folder contains: jtds-1.3.1.jar

We are really at a loss as to what to check next.  We are looking for guidance on next steps.

5 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Alexandru Geageac
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2015

Hi Eric,

You will need to upgrade the jdbc driver, the Microsoft JDBC Drivers 4.2 for SQL Server should resolve your problem.

Best regards,

Alex

5 votes
Dan Blechinger November 7, 2015

I spent hours researching this. The clue was in @Alexandru Geageac comment to upgrade to MS JDBC drivers. Since JIRA 7 uses Tomcat 8 I kept failing because the wrong jar was being loaded. so for Tomcat 8 JIRA 7 download and copy Microsoft's "sqljdbc4.jar" file into the JIRA \lib directory.

Then change your JIRA conf\context.xml connection as follows, substituting for your own CONNECTION_NAME, USERNAME, PASSWORD, SERVER, PORT, and DATABASE_NAME. Be sure to use the semi-colons in the url string:

<Resource name="CONNECTION_NAME"
        auth="Container"
        type="javax.sql.DataSource"
        username="USERNAME"
        password="PASSWORD"
        driverClassName="com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver"
        url="jdbc:sqlserver://SERVER:PORT;DatabaseName=DATABASE_NAME"/>

John Glass November 3, 2016

Did this require a restart for the changes to take place?

Alexandru Geageac
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 3, 2016

Yup, you should restart the JIRA instance...

1 vote
PadamB May 26, 2016

Dan thank you for pointing to the right direction, I had to use sqljdbc42.jar instead for JIRA 7.1.7

Jason Plumhoff
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 12, 2016

Can you tell me where you found this file?  Every time I try to download it from MSFT, I get directed the 4 version instead.

0 votes
Andreas Hellwig August 29, 2016

Thanks a lot!

0 votes
Asier Zubillaga February 8, 2016

Fantastic resolution Dan.

Suggest an answer