Error "The projects in this board cannot be listed because of the complexity of the board filter"

Vinod_Honnalli December 23, 2019

I received the error ""The projects in this board cannot be listed because of the complexity of the board filter" in my board when upgraded the JIRA application to new version 7.13.11

I have used the below filter 

(project = PM AND labels = Cab-Max-Team-C AND labels != US-A) OR (issueFunction in subtasksOf("project = PM AND labels = Cab-Max-Team-C AND labels !=US-A")) ORDER BY Rank ASC

i tried to simplify it, but still getting the same error.

1 answer

2 votes
Jorden Van Bogaert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 23, 2019

Hi @Vinod_Honnalli 

Generally this error can be ignored. I believe it's thrown because you use non-default JQL (issueFunction in subtasksOf from ScriptRunner).

It doesn't mean that Jira has trouble with your filter, it just doesn't recognize the method that is provided by the add-on, but is still able to process it.

There's no real fix other than creating a filter without the JQL from an add-on.

Kind regards

Jorden

Vinod_Honnalli December 23, 2019

Hi Jorden,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Since the board is not able to recognize the project used in the filter, users with manage boards permission are not able to create/complete/start sprints as the board is expecting manage board permission of all the projects in out instance.

So it is required that i modify the filter so that boards recognize the project which i use in the filter.

Regards,

Vinod

Jorden Van Bogaert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 23, 2019

Hi @Vinod_Honnalli 

Is your filter meant to return anything other than issues and subtasks in the PM project?

If I read the query, (project = PM AND labels = Cab-Max-Team-C AND labels != US-A) OR (issueFunction in subtasksOf("project = PM AND labels = Cab-Max-Team-C AND labels !=US-A")) ORDER BY Rank ASC

It seems like you are asking all issues in project PM with label Cab-Max-Team-C without label US-A OR subtasks in the PM project with label Cab-Max-Team-C, but without label US-A.

If that's what you're query is meant to return, you can simply leave everything after 'OR' from your query as subtasks are already included in the first part of your JQL.

If I understand the query wrong, let me know :)

Kind regards
Jorden

Andrew Morin
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 23, 2019

Did it work after you removed the SciptRunner function? Just curious..we use that add-on and it's extended JQL heavily...

Jorden Van Bogaert
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 23, 2019

If it works by removing the scriptrunner function, I think it's more because Jira not checking the JQL in the function itself (as it says project = PM there).

If you'd say (project = PM AND labels = Cab-Max-Team-C AND labels != US-A) OR (project = PM AND issueFunction in subtasksOf("project = PM AND labels = Cab-Max-Team-C AND labels !=US-A")) ORDER BY Rank ASC

I believe it may help the board's complexity as well, although I'm not 100% sure. However, more info about the complex filters error can be read here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/using-manage-sprints-permission-for-advanced-cases-802592462.html?_ga=2.136420722.397940938.1577092957-1945274157.1575529573

Like Vinod Honnalli likes this
Vinod Honnalli December 23, 2019

Hi @[deleted] ,

Your JQL worked perfectly :) !!!

Now the board is bale to understand the project used in the filter. 

Thank you Very much for the help.

Regards,

Vinod 

Like Jorden Van Bogaert likes this
Vinod Honnalli December 23, 2019

HI @Andrew Morin ,

Yes, it used to work if the remove the second part of the query. but that was fetching less number of results compare to full query.

Anyhow thanks for looking into the issue.

Regards,

Vinod

Suggest an answer