Error occurred while creating an issue

Kota Sreenivasa Shravana Kumar September 1, 2013

We are using JIRA version 5.2.7. while creating issues using CSV import, I get the following error

com.atlassian.jira.exception.CreateException: Error occurred while creating issue through workflow: Originating Version is required.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Kota Sreenivasa Shravana Kumar September 2, 2013

We have added validator for create transition in the workflow to resolve the issue. Thanks all for their inputs.

1 vote
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 1, 2013

Do you have a field required validator (for "Originating Version") in your create transition? So make sure that this field is imported with values or remove the validator.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2013

This implies that you have a field called "originating version", you have made it mandatory in your project, and you are now trying to import CSV without that field set in it.

Either (temporarily) make the field optional, or place a column into your CSV and map that one. That's just for a test to check that I've got the right cause (and it should tell us a lot more if it fails too)

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 1, 2013

Hi Nic,

actually, you can import issues without values for mandatory fields. Somehow this works using the CSV-importer. Don't ask me why.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2013

I know it used to let you do that in the past (barring "summary", which is always required), but some of the importers have a bit more respect for the config nowadays, and I've not tried the CSV one recently.

However, I think the new version does, as you suggest, execute the validators on create. I should have said that in my answer, but I was thinking more of the second bit - finding out what happens if the mandatory is somehow removed, or the data provided.

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 1, 2013

Under JIRA 6.0.7 it still allows it (except summary as you mentioned)

Suggest an answer