Error loading Okta authenticator for Jira standalone

Ryan Lucas December 22, 2017

I have having issues setting up Okta SSO on my Jira standalone instance v7.1.10.

I have followed the direction on the Okta setup page.  I have double checked my config files till I can't see straight.  I have check file ownership and permissions, and now I am out of ideas

2017-12-23 03:05:59,759 localhost-startStop-1 ERROR      [o.a.c.c.C.[Standalone].[localhost].[/]] Exception starting filter trustedapps
java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not load security config 'seraph-config.xml': Error caught in initialisation of authenticator class 'com.atlassian.jira.authenticator.okta.OktaJiraAuthenticator30': Okta Authenticator initialization FAILED:  : java.lang.RuntimeException: Okta Authenticator initialization FAILED:
    at com.atlassian.seraph.config.SecurityConfigFactory.loadInstance(SecurityConfigFactory.java:60)
    at com.atlassian.seraph.config.SecurityConfigFactory.getInstance(SecurityConfigFactory.java:21)
    at com.atlassian.security.auth.trustedapps.seraph.filter.SeraphTrustedApplicationsFilter.<init>(SeraphTrustedApplicationsFilter.java:16)
    at com.atlassian.seraph.filter.TrustedApplicationsFilter.<init>(TrustedApplicationsFilter.java:17)
    at com.atlassian.jira.security.auth.trustedapps.TrustedApplicationFilter.<init>(TrustedApplicationFilter.java:25)
    ... 3 filtered
    at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:423)
    at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:442)
    ... 8 filtered
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: com.atlassian.seraph.config.ConfigurationException: Error caught in initialisation of authenticator class 'com.atlassian.jira.authenticator.okta.OktaJiraAuthenticator30': Okta Authenticator initialization FAILED:  : java.lang.RuntimeException: Okta Authenticator initialization FAILED:
    at com.atlassian.seraph.config.SecurityConfigImpl.configureClass(SecurityConfigImpl.java:345)
    at com.atlassian.seraph.config.SecurityConfigImpl.configureAuthenticator(SecurityConfigImpl.java:258)
    at com.atlassian.seraph.config.SecurityConfigImpl.<init>(SecurityConfigImpl.java:194)
    at com.atlassian.seraph.config.SecurityConfigFactory.loadInstance(SecurityConfigFactory.java:56)
    ... 21 more
    at com.atlassian.jira.authenticator.okta.OktaJiraAuthenticator30.init(OktaJiraAuthenticator30.java:65)
    at com.atlassian.seraph.config.SecurityConfigImpl.configureClass(SecurityConfigImpl.java:337)
    ... 24 more
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
    at java.io.File.<init>(File.java:277)
    at com.okta.saml.util.OktaAuthPeer.readFile(OktaAuthPeer.java:89)
    at com.okta.saml.util.OktaAuthPeer.init(OktaAuthPeer.java:51)
    at com.okta.saml.util.OktaAuthPeer.<init>(OktaAuthPeer.java:40)
    at com.atlassian.jira.authenticator.okta.OktaJiraAuthenticator30.init(OktaJiraAuthenticator30.java:62)

This section of the error makes me think that the config file name is not being passed.

Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
    at java.io.File.<init>(File.java:277)

Anyone have any ideas on how to troubleshoot? Am I chasing the wrong thing?  Any other pointers or suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.

2 answers

0 votes
Bruno Vincent
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 23, 2017

Hi @Ryan Lucas

Did you check the following post? https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Issue-trying-integrate-Okta-with-our-JIRA/qaq-p/137615

Your issue seems to be very similar.

Looks like Seraph cannot find your okta-config-jira.xml file. According to that post, you can pass the full path of the file as an init parameter (okta.config.file) in Okta's authenticator element in seraph-config.xml. My understanding is that by default Seraph seems to expect to find the file in the atlassian-jira folder.

Hope this helps.

Ryan Lucas December 23, 2017

I did find that post but it seems my issue is different somehow.  I have the config file located in the atlassian-Jira folder and the full path is defined. It’s like the value isn’t being respected. I even tried removing the full path. Also If I change the value of of the config file parameter to a dummy value the error doesn’t change. 

pravin March 27, 2020

Were you able to resolve this issue? how?

0 votes
Lars Olav Velle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 22, 2017

Have you tried reaching out to Okta?

Alternatively you can try with the same settings using our add-on, and perhaps you get enough clues to make things right.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?query=kantega

(l work for the vendor Kantega Single Sign-on) 

Suggest an answer